Ryan Rafer Config ( minimal resource )

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing your configuration. I like it!:) As @Morvotron mentioned, an AV is a good idea & couldn't hurt. The path we'd followed on our own Windows 7 SP 1 was adding the free Windows Defender, although you might already have Microsoft Security Essentials built in.

CCleaner is a favorite tool on both our systems. Likewise you might consider a free & encrypted password manager such as LastPass www.lastpass.com rather than Chrome's or Firefox's built in managers.
I'd found this on the subject:
  • 2. "(one)..difference in the storage mechanism of the saved website passwords: Browsers like chrome use Data Protection API exposed by Windows to encrypt and decrypt passwords, whereas the password managers derive key from the master password using some "Key derivation function" which increases the effort of a brute-force attack by a constant factor. – Curious
Source: https://security.stackexchange.com/...sword-manager-vs-third-party-password-manager

If you are not yet using 64 bit Firefox, you can get it here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox in your language

There is a third party cookie blocker built into Chrome.
Here's how to set it:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button. Select "Block third-party cookies and site data"
    • After this you'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • You may also mark the circle "Keep site data only until browser is closed".

Thank you for sharing, and letting me share (..by reading all the way to this point!).:D

Ryan Rafer

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing your configuration. I like it!:) As @Morvotron mentioned, an AV is a good idea & couldn't hurt. The path we'd followed on our own Windows 7 SP 1 was adding the free Windows Defender, although you might already have Microsoft Security Essentials built in.

CCleaner is a favorite tool on both our systems. Likewise you might consider a free & encrypted password manager such as LastPass www.lastpass.com rather than Chrome's or Firefox's built in managers.
I'd found this on the subject:
  • 2. "(one)..difference in the storage mechanism of the saved website passwords: Browsers like chrome use Data Protection API exposed by Windows to encrypt and decrypt passwords, whereas the password managers derive key from the master password using some "Key derivation function" which increases the effort of a brute-force attack by a constant factor. – Curious
Source: https://security.stackexchange.com/...sword-manager-vs-third-party-password-manager

If you are not yet using 64 bit Firefox, you can get it here: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox in your language

There is a third party cookie blocker built into Chrome.
Here's how to set it:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button. Select "Block third-party cookies and site data"
    • After this you'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • You may also mark the circle "Keep site data only until browser is closed".

Thank you for sharing, and letting me share (..by reading all the way to this point!).:D
Thanks @Cats-4_Owners-2 , ill be putting lastpass. thanks!
and yes i just checked my security essentials.. its on.
ill read the thread that you shared. its always good to learn something new.
i love this forum already!! rock on!!

Malwarebytes premium, Privatefirewall 7.0 , Zemana Antilogger
I'd replace these with one
MSE or 360 total security or ESET.
if you want to add extra comodo firewall

welcome

Thanks! @done , when my mbam expires ill try MSE 1st. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You listed system being shared so if you going to visit sites and actively download infections, please use a vm. Have uac on for shared user accounts, perhaps remove administration permissions from them.

In terms of steam games hardly know of any that don't work with w10. You can always run compatibility mode.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Change UAC to full. It will maybe pop up a few times per day and will stop most of the issues.
About win 10 and games, 99% of them would work just fine and also you will have windows defender which on windows 10 is pretty good antivirus.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

As others say User Account Control is a must, you may find it a little annoying but it's worth it - default or always notify. Keep what you have but you could add the following:

1.) Microsoft Security Essentials because MBAM is made to be with an anti-virus - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows
2.) Zemana Anti-Malware Free (free doesn't have real-time protection) a multi-engine cloud based scanner (amazing in my opinion) - Zemana AntiMalware Free - Limitless Scan and Malware Removal!
3.) HitmanPro another multi-engine cloud based scanner (different engines) - HitmanPro 3 - SurfRight
4.) Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, it prevents the majority of exploits - Anti-Exploit Premium - Premium Zero-Day Exploit Protection

:)

I

illumination

With the others suggestions I would like to add, I only recommend using Backbox in a contained environment like a Virtual Machine period, never would I recommend using it for live recovery of a windows machine.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may check Appguard or NVT Radar Exe Pro as an alternative base for your Antivirus.

But you need to make sure that its a must to check for possible problems like adjusting rulesets. Yet follow the suggestion on having MSE because of the protection contains where sufficient on your needs.

Have a backup program where you can create system image snapshot to revert any changes anytime without issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.