Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The newly launched Safari 5.1 features sandboxing technology which promises to protect Mac OS X Lion users from web-based exploits that might try to infect them with malware.

In computer programming, sandboxing refers to the practice of isolating a process by placing in into a restricted environment. A sandboxed process usually communicates with the system through a broker.

For developers it's much easier to make sure that a small brokering process is vulnerability-free than the hundreds of thousands of lines of code found in a browser's layout engine.

Safari becomes the second browser after Chrome to feature sandboxing, although unlike Chrome, Safari 5.1 is only sandboxed on the new Mac OS X Lion.

That's because Safari's sandbox relies on the sandboxing technology built into Apple's new operating system. Mac OS X has had a kernel-level sandbox for its core processes since Leopard, but this has been greatly enhanced and extended in Lion.

Read More

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Browser sandboxing technology will become a standard in the near future.Can't figure why the Safari team didn't manage to embed a sandbox for their browser in the Windows OS also.....I mean, if Google did it... what stopped them ?

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Jack said:
Browser sandboxing technology will become a standard in the near future.Can't figure why the Safari team didn't manage to embed a sandbox for their browser in the Windows OS also.....I mean, if Google did it... what stopped them ?
I think its a marketing strategy, while enhancing the security of their OS. Microsoft has done the same thing with 7, sort of. Security Essential's NIS feature only works in Vista & 7. Same goes for IE9.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Tobi said:
Jack said:
I think its a marketing strategy, while enhancing the security of their OS. Microsoft has done the same thing with 7, sort of. Security Essential's NIS feature only works in Vista & 7. Same goes for IE9.
Have to agree with you , but this is one of the reasons why Safari will never be widely used on Windows.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Same reason people use IE9. It's built in.

Apple's Webkit 2.0 is what allows for this sandboxing. It's great and I love that they're still improving on Webkit.

I'm not sure if Chrome will move to Webkit 2.0... I suppose they will eventually. But they already have sandboxing on Webkit 1.0, moving to 2.0 would solve a few of the problems with high memory usage though apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.