Serious Discussion Safe mode protection

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Hi, Currently I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus. I love it. ( It was my first Antivirus, installed on my system in the year of 2006 ) But also I've multiple Antivirus license & used like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, K7, Quick Heal, Guardian ( Quick Heal's brand ) .

Quick Heal & it's Sub brand Guardian has 3 unique features.

Safe mode protection - If you set password for preventing changes of QUICK HEAL settings or uninstall prevention, you'll also get a option for safe mode protection. If you checked this option
ON, and turned your computer into safe boot mode, you'll see a window prompt you to enter password to boot safe mode.

Safe Mode Protection​

If you run Windows in Safe Mode, your computer starts with only basic files and drivers and the security features of Quick Heal AntiVirus Pro are disabled by default. In such a situation, unauthorized users may take advantage and steal data or modify the settings of the Quick Heal AntiVirus Pro features.
To prevent access to your system by any unauthorized users, you can configure Safe Mode Protection. Once you configure it, you need to provide a password to work in Safe Mode.

Boot time scan - By using this feature, you can scan your system for stubborn malware.

Boot Time Scan​

This feature helps to clean even highly infected systems. Some viruses tend to be active if the system is running and they cannot be cleaned. Using Boot Time Scan, you can clean such viruses. This scan will be performed on next boot using Windows NT Boot Shell.

Screen locker protection- Helps preventing malicious programs that lock the sceern

Screen Locker Protection​

Malicious programs that lock the screen preventing access to your device are known as screen lockers.
With Screen Locker Protection, you can create a short-cut key combination to initiate a clean-up of your computer and remove such malicious programs. By pressing the short-cut key, you can initiate cleaning up of your computer and remove the malicious program.

Anyone could you please suggest how useful features are these ?? These are unique features except password protection to prevent uninstall or changes settings of an Antivirus which is available almost every Antivirus like ESET, K7, KASPERSKY etc. but without safe mode boot protection.

Please share your valuable opinion & if you tested these features please share your experience also. Will safe mode boot protection bypassed by Malware ?

By the way, after booting safe mode, I was tried to uninstall QUICK HEAL by third party uninstaller or Windows built in uninstaller but not possible due to password protection even no such registry value changing option to do so. So it's a unique security feature.

I've heard Kaspersky could be uninstall by changing registry value into booting safe mode even password protection enabled to prevent uninstall. Please check. Link- KASPERSKY Uninstall without enter password

Thanks in advance. Please do comment & correct if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

The features you've mentioned are indeed useful for added security.

1. Safe Mode Protection: It's a great feature preventing unauthorized access to your system even in Safe Mode. It's especially useful against advanced threats that might attempt to bypass traditional protection layers.

2. Boot Time Scan: This is a powerful option for detecting and removing stubborn malware that activates when the system boots up.

3. Screen Locker Protection: It's beneficial against ransomware or other malicious software that attempts to lock your screen.

However, no antivirus is 100% foolproof. Advanced malware can potentially bypass safe mode protection, though it's not common.

As for Kaspersky, it's generally not recommended to manipulate registry entries without expert knowledge as it can lead to serious system issues.

Remember, the best defense is to keep your antivirus software up to date, use strong unique passwords, and exercise caution while browsing or downloading files.

Also, using multiple antivirus software simultaneously can lead to conflicts and system instability. It's better to choose one that suits your needs and stick with it.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: anirbandutta01

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Hello,

The features you've mentioned are indeed useful for added security.

1. Safe Mode Protection: It's a great feature preventing unauthorized access to your system even in Safe Mode. It's especially useful against advanced threats that might attempt to bypass traditional protection layers.

2. Boot Time Scan: This is a powerful option for detecting and removing stubborn malware that activates when the system boots up.

3. Screen Locker Protection: It's beneficial against ransomware or other malicious software that attempts to lock your screen.

However, no antivirus is 100% foolproof. Advanced malware can potentially bypass safe mode protection, though it's not common.

As for Kaspersky, it's generally not recommended to manipulate registry entries without expert knowledge as it can lead to serious system issues.

Remember, the best defense is to keep your antivirus software up to date, use strong unique passwords, and exercise caution while browsing or downloading files.

Also, using multiple antivirus software simultaneously can lead to conflicts and system instability. It's better to choose one that suits your needs and stick with it.

Hope this helps!
I'm not using multiple AV, I'm currently stick with ESET & I'm happy & satisfied with it. I've already mentioned that I tested these Antivirus but not using multiple at the same time. As for Kaspersky, I've heard that uninstall prevention password could be break by tricks so I shared this link.

Reactions: Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I'm not using multiple AV, I'm currently stick with ESET & I'm happy & satisfied with it. I've already mentioned that I tested these Antivirus but not using multiple at the same time. As for Kaspersky, I've heard that uninstall prevention password could be break by tricks so I shared this link.
Apologies for misunderstanding your previous message. It's great to hear that you're satisfied with ESET. As for Kaspersky, while it's possible that uninstall prevention password could be bypassed using certain tricks, it's worth noting that such methods could potentially harm the system or violate user agreements. It's always best to follow proper procedures when uninstalling any software.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Apologies for misunderstanding your previous message. It's great to hear that you're satisfied with ESET. As for Kaspersky, while it's possible that uninstall prevention password could be bypassed using certain tricks, it's worth noting that such methods could potentially harm the system or violate user agreements. It's always best to follow proper procedures when uninstalling any software.
Thanks for your understanding.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
If a knowledgeable person has physical access to your pc and if it's harddisk/SSD is not encrypted, your data is not secure. Now the "safe mode boot protection" can deter persons from uninstalling the av software but it's not useful to prevent formatting and installing a new os and it's no guarantee for not getting infected by a malicious software either.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
If a knowledgeable person has physical access to your pc and if it's harddisk/SSD is not encrypted, your data is not secure. Now the "safe mode boot protection" can deter persons from uninstalling the av software but it's not useful to prevent formatting and installing a new os and it's no guarantee for not getting infected by a malicious software either.
So what's the good encryption software? I've heard about VeraCrypt is good third party software to do so but it's decryption speed is slow. I've both SSD (OS) & HDD (Storage). Could you please suggest a good encryption software??

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
If SSD / HDD are encrypted then formatting and new OS installation not possible??

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
If SSD / HDD are encrypted then formatting and new OS installation not possible??
Yes its possible. But recovery of your encrypted data by the third-party will be extremely difficult, next to impossible.
Could you please suggest a good encryption software
You can use windows built-in Bitlocker, it uses XTS-AES 128-bit encryption which is enough for personal use and its free with windows 11 pro.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Yes its possible. But recovery of your encrypted data by the third-party will be extremely difficult, next to impossible.

You can use windows built-in Bitlocker, it uses XTS-AES 128-bit encryption which is enough for personal use and its free with windows 11 pro.
I'm using Windows 10 Pro so bit locker available with OS ?

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.