Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sometimes you receive a Word doc in your email, and you need to view it or print it, and the Gmail file viewer is totally messing up the layout. What to do?
Forward the message to your Office Online email account. It has excellent support for Office docs. You can view the doc and print it without it ever touching your disk.

If you don't have an Office Online email account, but you have Dropbox, you could upload the doc to Dropbox, and from there, you can open it in Office Online.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What is Protected View?
Files from the Internet and from other potentially unsafe locations can contain viruses, worms, or other kinds of malware that can harm your computer. To help protect your computer, files from these potentially unsafe locations are opened as read only or in Protected View. By using Protected View, you can read a file and see its contents and enable editing while reducing the risks.

Find out more

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The good alternative to online services, can be on Windows 10 the installation of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile - free Microsoft Universal Applications from Microsoft Store. They can block the active content in documents and run fully in AppContainer. The documents can be printed from those applications, too. The user can also copy the document content and paste to another office application.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The good alternative to online services, can be on Windows 10 the installation of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile - free Microsoft Universal Applications from Microsoft Store. They can block the active content in documents and run fully in AppContainer. The documents can be printed from those applications, too. The user can also copy the document content and paste to another office application.
Yeah, that works.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So today I made the great discovery that in MS Outlook, you can run a "quick print" job on a Word doc you received by email, while the doc is still in protected view. :) ‏‏
I want to backtrack on this claim I made. Today I did a quick print from MS Outlook while MS Word was closed, and I noticed that Word appeared on the screen for a second. So apparently, the doc opens in Word and is printed from Word, which means AFAIK that it is not opened in protected view, because protected view can't print.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.