Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
2. The USB Data Cable cannot be used to charge the tablet when it is connected between the PC and the tablet

I've never heard of this before, I wonder why they didn't allow this.

I think charging over USB, is vital for most lightweight gadgets (even my phone charger has a USB port on the top, so the cable can be used to the PC as well).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That is what my HTC Wildfire has, a cord for charging is essential for charging through the computer plus I bet it's cheaper as well to do it through that then charge it through a power point.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Lets assume that I got the electricity cut off and I have a laptop with a fully charged battery and a tablet with a a low battery and I want to make a phone call, I would use the USB data cable to charge my tablet... Or maybe Samsung does not know that electricity can be cut off :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Or maybe Samsung does not know that electricity can be cut off :D

That might be more to the point.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cool, but I doubt I'd buy a tablet any time soon.

Try turning down the brightness to ~65% for increased battery life.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-plus-review/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That is also one thing that will stop people buying Tablets. If they don't have a USB charger then people aren't going to by them.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
McLovin said:
That is also one thing that will stop people buying Tablets. If they don't have a USB charger then people aren't going to by them.

Hasn't stopped people from buying them yet. iPad's are selling pretty well. They do charge through the USB port, but you have to plug the USB cable into a 10 Watt adapter that you plug into a wall socket.

A PC USB port's current capacity is too limited to effectively charge a tablets battery. The displays on the latest crop of tablets drain the battery faster than USB can charge it. So rather than have people complain that it takes days to charge the battery, they just went the 'plug it into the wall' route.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
Hasn't stopped people from buying them yet. iPad's are selling pretty well. They do charge through the USB port, but you have to plug the USB cable into a 10 Watt adapter that you plug into a wall socket.

A PC USB port's current capacity is too limited to effectively charge a tablets battery. The displays on the latest crop of tablets drain the battery faster than USB can charge it. So rather than have people complain that it takes days to charge the battery, they just went the 'plug it into the wall' route.

Never thought of it like that. I would prefer mine to charge at a fairly fast rate then wait hours for it to charge even just to 50%. Only time I really use the power points is either at home when my PC isn't turned on and or at TAFE.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
HeffeD said:
They do charge through the USB port, but you have to plug the USB cable into a 10 Watt adapter that you plug into a wall socket.

Same thing here. The USB data cable is put in an adapter to charge the tablet.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
superboy123 said:
It can charge you tablet with usb cable at pc @ laptop if you power off you tablet...

I know about it. But I think it is going to be much slower. The USB port in the Laptop has a power of 5 Volt * 0.9 Ampere = 4.5 watt. But the adapter I got has a power of 5 volts * 2 Ampere = 10 Watt.
Correct me if I am wrong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My android can charge using the USB cable even for laptop/desktop and etc.

So I assuming that other Samsung smartphones have ability to do it.

Its pretty essential especially for emergency situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.