Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Boston Globe said:
A California jury awarded Apple Inc. $1.05 billion and a sweeping victory in its patent infringement suit against South Korean electronics maker Samsung Electronics Co. on Friday, a decision that could make it harder for competitors to challenge the iPhone and iPad in the massive global market for smartphones and tablet computers.

“It appears to be a total victory for Apple,” said Michael J. Belliveau, a patent attorney with the Boston law firm Clark & Elbing LLP. “All its patents survived and most, if not all, of Samsung’s devices were found to be infringing. A lot of smartphone companies are going to be thinking about how they can redesign their phones, starting tonight.”

After a three-week federal trial in San Jose — just 10 miles from Apple’s Silicon Valley headquarters — a jury of seven men and two women found that Samsung infringed six of the seven Apple patents at the heart of the suit. They included designs for some of the user-friendly features that have made smart devices so popular, including the “bounce” users see when scrolling a list and reaching the end, and the “pinch” used to shrink or expand images on a touchscreen.

“Apple’s innovations are being vindicated here, and, in particular, the software and user interface design innovations that they’ve created are being upheld most strongly,” said Charles Golvin, principal analyst with Forrester Research Inc. in Cambridge. “That has implications not just for Samsung but also for Google, as the maker of the Android platform, and for all of the other Android licensees — Motorola, HTC, and also potentially for Microsoft, who uses similar features in the Windows phone.”

For Samsung alone, the stakes are huge. Samsung has sold 22.7 million smartphones and tablets that Apple claimed use its technology, according to Apple attorney Harold McElhinny, who said those devices have accounted for $8.16 billion in sales since June 2010. Apple is pursuing additional legal action, challenging more recent products from Samsung.

There are some 50 lawsuits over technology rights among companies jockeying for position in the growing $219 billion market for smartphones and computer tablets.

Read more: http://bostonglobe.com/business/2012/08/24/big-win-for-apple-patent-fight-against-rival-samsung/cVVtAPTCDsOBh9Am97RGRN/story.html

Last edited:

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Terrible decision IMO.

Samsung Provided evidence that it had blue prints of the technology dated Months/Years before the idea of the Iphone/Ipad.

Its also to note that the Jury was people that live only few miles from Apple HQ.
Honestly, The decision was very Biased.

There are so many facts against Apple in this and it was never considered.

But in short for me,
This makes me Still not want to buy any Apple products at all.
and makes me even want to get the Samsung Galaxy SIII even more.

P

Plexx

This is going to carry on until Apple achieves the monopoly, which truth to be said, such attempts failed before.

This along with other reasons kept me from ever using an apple product. Even an MP3 Player I rather use the more simplistic ones of drag and drop instead of loading to iTunes and then load it to the device.

I am surprised Apple did not sue any of the internet companies using the spinning around loading icon that is visible in iOS...

D

Deleted member 178

Californian court giving victory to Apple against its most dangerous competitor...come on ...it smell biased from miles away...

anyway a korean court gave victory for samsung...

business game...

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
FFS! Spend your money on giving us better tech instead!!
Or feed Africa with it for the next 10 years.

/W

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Samsung = S. Korean company
Apple = American company

Of course it's biased.

Apple are as one would say, Dumb Kiddies and Need to Grow up. Thanks.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
Earth you just said everything that need to be said on this thread
Apple = monopoly and a monopoly is never good for tech users

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
Steve Jobs already died, Apple know that their brand will die soon so they beat their competitor by doing this.

The rounded corner patent claim by Apple doesn't make sense, how can other mobile manufacturer produce new mobile phone with only rectangle corner? Apple are so recessive to win the market share and yes the judges are biased.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
InternetChicken said:
OMG what a bad decision ,
Waiting for Apple to patent Oxygen next , then charge us all for being alive.

LOL, Microsoft should patent that :D.

Why Apple not claim the touch screen and the smartphones eras will end, they would not have to bother patent all their UI.

D

Deleted member 178

We all know that all this story is a huge joke made to satisfy the Apple shares-owners, isn't it?

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
one more reason for me to hate apple! and +1000 to all those who don't like apple! apple is and will be for noobs!you just have to see their userbase fan to see them whining and still believing they can't catch a virus on a mac!no really?i have a friend who thought mac was cool and bought one its a girl yeah and she started hating it as what you can do on windows you can't on mac!i would prefer using kubuntu than use mac!

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Look at it this way,

Why in gods name does Apple need all that money?

That Money needs to go somewhere where its needed like Cancer, Disabilities, etc.
If I was apple, I would give it the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation!
But you won't see that happen.

Ever since Steve Jobs died, Apple has fallen terribly.
Its like all of Steve Jobs hard work is going to just burn like that.

I may just be a Microsoft guy, But its really a sad sight for anyone.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
muhammadariif said:
Steve Jobs already died, Apple know that their brand will die soon so they beat their competitor by doing this.

I would not buy an iPhone even if it were the last phone on earth ... It looks awful when compared with the other smarth phones and it lack so many cool features that Android or Windows phones have..........

As far as this law suit goes...this just shows how old and out-dated the patent system is...... It would be cool to see a law suite in which Motorola would sue Apple for using Martin Cooper invention.
But I do understand Apple, if you can't beat them in the Tech War then sue them!......
Apple can keep their $1.05b (which is like 10$ for Samsung).. and instead of starting this law suites maybe they should focus on building better phones....... Maybe it's time for Apple to copy the HTC One X,TITAN II or Galaxy 3... then we will have a good iPhone..

PS. All my friends who have an iPhone have no touch with the tech world....... this phone it's more advertise then quality...... The simple fact that it's compared with a Galaxy SII or III, it's insult to the South Korean developer.

PS2. HTC ONE X owner here:p

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting video:

Last edited:

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I'm always annoyed with Apple when they go after companies for "stealing their ideas", when they've openly admitted that they stole the concept of the GUI based OS and the Mouse from Xerox... :(

Even going to far as to say: "Good artists copy, great artists steal. We're great artists."

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
Apple users will never know what is tech and innovative, Apple always push simplicity over give powerful to their user and the result, people who own iPhone 4 actually already own 4S because the UI and the design are not much different from the last iPhone.

Android are different, they let their user to root their phone to use powerful apps but different goes to Apple, jailbreaking an iPhone is like do major crime.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Apple loses its patent lawsuit against Samsung in Japan: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_loses_its_patent_lawsuit_against_samsung_in_japan_-news-4728.php

Nice, Apple should start lawsuits outside of Korea and US. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.