Troubleshoot Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2)

donzzi

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 6, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I have laptop Asus GL502VSK with HFS128G39TND-N210A (SSD) and i want to replace SSD with Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2) - 500GB.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Can i install Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2) in my laptop?
I have laptop Asus GL502VSK with HFS128G39TND-N210A (SSD) and i want to replace SSD with Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2) - 500GB. How can i see if my laptop support this type of SSD ( Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2) ) ?

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
The HFS128G39TND-N210A is a Sata M.2 2280 Drive, while The 970 EVO is a NVME M.2 2280 Drive, same form factor, so will fit. According to a review on google, the GL502VS has an "M.2 slot for SSD storage with NVMe support" therefore i believe you can take advantages of the faster 970 EVO and i will recommend it.

@Gandalf_The_Grey can you confirm with what i said? As currently we both say opposite.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The HFS128G39TND-N210A is a Sata M.2 2280 Drive, while The 970 EVO is a NVME M.2 2280 Drive, same form factor, so will fit. According to a review on google, the GL502VS has an "M.2 slot for SSD storage with NVMe support" therefore i believe you can take advantages of the faster 970 EVO and i will recommend it.

@Gandalf_The_Grey can you confirm with what i said? As currently we both say opposite.
Not sure of that, another review states:
M.2-SSD from SanDisk is only attached via SATA-III
Asus ROG Strix GL502VS Notebook Review
But according to your review from laptopmedia it has indeed a NVMe support and is on their compatibility list: Laptop M.2 SSD Compatibility List
So I don't know for sure unfortunately :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Not sure of that, another review states:
Asus ROG Strix GL502VS Notebook Review
But according to your review from laptopmedia it has indeed a NVMe support and is on their compatibility list: Laptop M.2 SSD Compatibility List
So I don't know for sure unfortunately :unsure:

User manual here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL502VSK/0409_E12053_GL502VS_VM_A.pdf

Page 83. This laptop model support both M.2 SATA SSD and NVME SSD. It would be ashamed for a gaming laptop to not support both SATA and NVME M.2 SSD.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Upvote 0

Cocog

Apr 4, 2019
Hello,

I have been running the web to solve the same question as you as. I even contacted the support from Asus, that gave me so unprofesionnal answer... Like the guy didnt had a clue of what is a keyboard....
However, i found also the page 83 from the manual stating that it can be compatible, but read from post statement that is not compatible.

Thank you to your post that looks the best way to answer to this question. I am planning to purchage the evo 970 in nvme for my GL502VSK motherboard too, but scared to have to send it back.

Since you posted in January i assume you did the purchase already?
Can you confirm to us that is functionning well?

Cordially,
G

Reactions: TRS-80
Upvote 0

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
i found also the page 83 from the manual stating that it can be compatible, but read from post statement that is not compatible.

I am planning to purchage the evo 970 in nvme for my GL502VSK motherboard too, but scared to have to send it back.

So I'm not the original thread starter, but the GL502VSK manual states that the M.2 2280 slot supports both PCIe (NVMe) SSD and SATA SSD. The 970 EVO is a NVME M.2 SSD, & therefore is compatible.

Upvote 0

Cocog

Apr 4, 2019
Hi guys, thank you for your reply.
That is exactly what I have conclued.
Though if we look at the web there is many topics that is rising this interogation.
Im thinking that the manual can be generic since there is a lot of sub-model you know.
How ever as soon as ill mkae the try, i ll inform you here if itworks or not.
Regards.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.