Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Samsung said some of the phones have a fault in the battery

In one of biggest global recalls of smartphones, Samsung Electronics Co. said it would replace Galaxy Note 7 devices because of reports of battery fires, dealing a blow to the company’s recovery efforts.

The company said it had halted sales of its Galaxy Note 7 phone after receiving reports from customers of batteries exploding during charging.

“It has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem,” Koh Dong-jin, the head of Samsung’s handset division, said.

Samsung said it had shipped 2.5 million units of the Galaxy Note 7 since its launch on Aug. 19. Mr. Koh declined to comment on the estimated cost for the exchange program, but said that the amount is so big “it almost breaks my heart.”

The recall is also painful for Samsung because it tarnishes its image ahead of the introduction next week of Apple Inc.’s next-generation smartphones. Samsung has accelerated the launch of its new phones in recent years to get a head-start on Apple.

Samsung, the world’s biggest smartphone maker by shipments has been relying on its Galaxy phones to drive the recovery of its mobile business, which has been struggling for more than two years amid strong competition from Apple and Chinese rivals.

Strong sales of the smaller flagship Galaxy S7 phone had helped make the three months ended June Samsung’s most profitable quarter in nearly two years. At 16%, the company’s mobile profit margin was the highest since 2014.

Samsung said reservations and prepayments for the large-screen Galaxy Note 7 were higher than for previous Galaxy phones.

The official said Samsung had registered 35 cases of the problem in phones globally through its service centers and estimated that 24 phones in each batch of one million produced were faulty. Consumers can also get a full refund for the device, he said.

Read more: Samsung to Recall Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Over Reports of Fires

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think it was quite a brave and responsible act from Samsung to recall all units of one of their flagship phones even if just a small percentage is affected by the problem. Better than most other brands who will deny any problem with their products for fear of negative impact on their public image,

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
As if the exploding Galaxy Note7 fiasco was not enough, Samsung is facing another embarrassing situation: a Galaxy S7 edge unit caught fire in the owner's pocket, "causing him second and third degree burns."
The incident happened when owner Daniel Ramirez was working at a construction site in Ohio. Reports say the phone was in his right front pocket when suddenly it started "whistling, screeching, and vibrating," and emitting smoke. When Ramirez tried to remove the handset from his pocket, he suffered burns to his right hand.

And then the unit exploded without any warning, catching fire in the pocket itself and causing severe burns to Ramirez - his boxer shots and pants melted to his leg. "He suffered severe and permanent burn injuries to his groin, legs, and lower back that required a significant skin graft surgery and will necessitate extensive physical therapy moving forward."

It's worth mentioning that the incident took place on May 30 this year (even before the Galaxy Note7 was made official), but has just come to light.

It's not yet clear whether or not the Galaxy S7 edge batteries were also manufactured by Samsung SDI, the company that supplied defective Galaxy Note7 batteries. Anyway, Samsung has been dragged to court over the incident - a product liability lawsuit has been filed against the South Korean company.

Source

Also here is a link to more samsung battery news like this: Man Sues Samsung After Exploding Galaxy Edge S7 Causes 3rd Degree Burns

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Apple is as guilty of loading bloatware in their phones as any other brand although they are finally giving the option to uninstall some of it in iOS 10. The same goes for build quality, just search for the touch screen problems in the IPhone 6 family.

Seriously all brands have issues. There is no perfect phone, computer, car, security solution or anything else out there.

BTW I'm not interested in engaging in any kind of brand wars in the forum. Neither side is ever capable of recognizing their favorite brand has problems and the opposite brand has qualities making these discussions pointless.

Before anyone asks my favorite phone is whichever does what I need for a reasonable price. I don't care if it is manufactured by Apple, Samsung, LG, or any other manufacturer out there.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
This is why I always hesitate buying waterproof and non-removable battery phones. They easily overheat and when something is wrong with the battery, we cannot do anything except letting them remove the back and replace a new battery

My friend just bought an S7e a few days ago and it said it was so so hot while playing games. I did some tweaks for his phone and advice him to always turn on battery saving mode + decrease brightness as much as possible to avoid overheating

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Samsung should create better on the battery since it is created themselves, those patches may relieve for the time however better provide long term solution.

Look the other brands, even the localized ones have good battery stability. :)

--------------------

In the airlines issue, better to be safe than sorry; for sure many are happy because they are not using Samsung. ;)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Certainly every hardware and software has issues, the best is still Apple among the smartphone manufacturers.

Samsung has the mindless specs, but due to various reasons, including bloatware (cannot be uninstalled), their phones are considerably slower than the iPhones.

Samsung no longer means quality, may go the way of Sony. Even their TV's are disappointing now, given most panels are done by low quality subcontractors (bad picture quality and short life).

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Lithium ion batteries are deadly - I would imagine Samsung use these, Lithium is a very dangerous element!?

P.S. In medicine we blame the USA and it's sue, this sue that for most doctors now refusing to operate on people at high risk. Why keep suing people?

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Lithium ion batteries are deadly - I would imagine Samsung use these, Lithium is a very dangerous element!?

P.S. In medicine we blame the USA and it's sue, this sue that for most doctors now refusing to operate on people at high risk. Why keep suing people?

I can't think of one energy source that is not deadly. Even solar...there is a electrical current running to power appliance. Gasoline, explosive, natural gas same etc and etc.

In the US, you guys sue a lot and massive lawsuits at that. Obviously doctors will have to do this, that is normal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.