CCleaner

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Hey, @Sana. Excellent configuration overall - simple and efficient. :p
One note though: Consider AOMEI Backupper Standard or Macrium Reflect Free as free system imaging (system backup) applications. I recommend you use either one of them to create at least one clean, full system image, which you can use to restore your system to its exact state, as it was when you created that system image. The restore process takes about 10-20 minutes, and it is much faster than formatting your hard drive and re-installing the entire OS.

Other than that, you're good to go.

Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

P.S. Happy new year! :D

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
So true, I never get around getting those images done! But I will this year, thanks for the tips and reminding me ;)

My last laptop since 2012, I formatted only once till date. Funnily enough I got another laptop 3 months ago, that ended up being formatted because it got infected or maybe I just didn't like Windows 8 at all :p

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Nice and easy config
you could consider using a firewall with AVG free, there are many free and good ones out there/Or use an Internet security. Qihoo Total security is a full fledged suite for free, or even Avast free as both of these come with their own sandbox.
On demand second opinion scanners you could add another multi-engine scanner: Herdprotect(free), Zemana Antimalware free or Hitman
For backup and recovery you could just use the inbuilt windows backup or a recommended third party software in case of an infection/crash.(Easus todo backup/O&O diskimage are in the giveaways already.)
In browsers an adblocker would be a good option(adblock plus, ublock origin, adguard are good ones with updated filter lists on malicious domains, social widgets etc.) Also,since you visit phising sites addons like - Bitdefender trafficlight,Avira browser safety, McAfee site advisor or WOT could be considered.These advise you on reputation of sites you are going to visit.
Of course,there as many options as there are opinions,I am just suggesting and hoping it helps in some way, in the end the user sitting in the front of the machine knows best.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
You got me there @Rishi :p

I used to have Outpost Agnitum: Firewall (free), used to be pretty good until most features offered went on to the paid version. After I installed Malwarebytes I switched back to Windows firewall :D

I don't bother with ad-blockers much, Malwarebytes catches them every now and then but not 100%. One other reason is that my Firefox can be a memory hog and use somewhere between 500~1000mb of RAM.

I like to keep an open ear, all opinions appreciated. I like browsing riskily so I don't leave everything to a software and if I run into trouble, I'll fix it. :p

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Outpost,Online armor and Comodo firewall(requires tweaking) are probably the best ones.For default windows firewall Firewall App blocker is a small and handy tool which can make life easier.
I like browsing riskily so I don't leave everything to a software and if I run into trouble, I'll fix it.
A clean system backup is always good to have. And a Happy New Year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

just use a VM if you like play with malwares. even you have sbie , it is not made for that.

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
There is a need to configure the 'EDIT Thread' mode. If you have not filled in all the required fields, and click finish, you will have to restart, all over again! Some sort of validation, before you click 'Finish'?

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
There is a need to configure the 'EDIT Thread' mode. If you have not filled in all the required fields, and click finish, you will have to restart, all over again! Some sort of validation, before you click 'Finish'?

Yes its just like you create an account on other website isnt it
You missed a field which is required and then you submit or finish, you must restart all over

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Yes its just like you create an account on other website isnt it
You missed a field which is required and then you submit or finish, you must restart all over
Yes, apart from maybe your password or maybe the field you missed. But you don't have to re-enter everything, that's just annoying!

@frogboy 3 times here :/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.