Status
Not open for further replies.

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have tried using Sandboxie several different times and it always locks up my computer, I am looking for a alternative to use, not looking to troubleshoot the Sandboxie issue at this time just looking for something else to try, would like to run my web browser in the sand box,Thanks :)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, but, I did not think that Buffer Zone is keep update to date like Sandboxie? Can you use Buffer Zone on Windows 8 and/or 8.1? You can use Sandboxie!

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Bufferzone was recently updated....like a few months back. Not updated regularly though. I never really liked Bufferzone. Gave me some BSOD and seemed slow.

Reactions: juhful

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions, it appears that Bufferzone now is a paid enterprise software, last update I see for free version was in 2012 with mixed reviews Thanks again.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I was recently trying out SurfCanister on VM. Mostly when this whole Sandboxie is shutting down nonsense. It's actually not that bad, surfcanister. It is put out by quickheal. It's pretty straight forward and has a couple of good functions. It can protect folders when it's running.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Dumb question: Is there an alternate to SBIE, but still creates an actual isolated zone and doesn't get lost on reboot?

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
SurfCanister. As I mentioned above. Also you can use ShadowDefender and just make a folder exception. There is also Comodo sandbox and bufferzone.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It depends on how you intend to use Sandboxie. If you just use it to test suspicious files like myself, then there really isn't any alternatives.

If you intend to use it for protection there are a few alternatives.

1. Don't download suspicious files and always pay attention to UAC prompts, never approve anything that you are not sure about. Download all of your files from a trusted download site like Softpedia that checks files for malware. Keep your software updated.
2. Create a limited user account with no admin rights on Windows, only use you admin account to install and update trusted programs. Use your limited user account for everything else.
3. Disable the ability to download files on all of your browsers, use a program like DDownloads which only list trusted files.
4. Use WinPatrol Free which will block the most common infections since most will require to run at system startup, add drivers, scheduled tasks or services in order to successful. WinPatrol also protects changes to Internet Explorer which most infections will try to change.
5. Always keep your important files backed up because sometimes mistakes will happen.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, it's for testing not protection.

Haven't looked at SurfCanister.

BufferZone is not Windows 8.1 compatible, and experienced problems on Window 8.

Comodo is garbage, it's NOT what I'm looking for and comes bundled with other Comodo-ware. It is not similar to SBIE.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
SurfCanister looks very interesting!
I was recently trying out SurfCanister on VM. Mostly when this whole Sandboxie is shutting down nonsense. It's actually not that bad, surfcanister. It is put out by quickheal. It's pretty straight forward and has a couple of good functions. It can protect folders when it's running.
https://www.surfcanister.com/surfcanister-new

Last edited:

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Yes, it's for testing not protection.

Haven't looked at SurfCanister.

BufferZone is not Windows 8.1 compatible, and experienced problems on Window 8.

Comodo is garbage, it's NOT what I'm looking for and comes bundled with other Comodo-ware. It is not similar to SBIE.
Actually comodo sandbox is similar to sandboxie. Similar mind you not 100% the same. It places all browsers in a virutal/sandbox enviroment. As noted from cruelsisters testing nothing really has escaped a re-boot. What evidence have you that it's "garbage"? You can merely add the comodo firewall and untick everything that you don't want.

D

Deleted member 178

Comodo sandbox is inded quite similar as Sbie ; less options sure but it virtualize quite well

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Garbage as in, that's my opinion of the software. Comodo Sandbox is not a standalone software. It's got strings attached, and when you download the software, it's bundled with ~200MB of other crapware. You can customise the install, but the point is, one does NOT want the Antivirus or Firewall being installed (at all). Even using the Sandbox, they want you to download Dragon and Silverlight (can be hidden), more to download? Yay.

Comodo Sandbox is not just a sandbox, like SBIE.

D

Deleted member 178

i was not aware you implied the package in your statement, i compared the functionality.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No problem, but this is a SBIE-alternate thread, and SBIE doesn't come with an AV or Firewall (except it can block Internet access). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.