Sandboxie alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Comodo "may" launch a standalone version; but you know comodo , many promises few honored ^^

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In the past few years, they've been integrating more and more into their Suite. A standalone Comodo Sandbox? It's never going to happen, not without a catch anyway. :p For example: CSU was discontinued and replaced with the paid-only Comodo PC Tuneup software, yet the CSU site still exists.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
OK, some really great alternatives I highly recommend checking out...

Shadow Defender - (http://www.shadowdefender.com/)

Shadow Defender can run your system in a virtual environment called 'Shadow Mode'. 'Shadow Mode' redirects each system change to a virtual environment with no change to your real environment. If you experience malicious activities and/or unwanted changes, perform a reboot to restore your system back to its original state, as if nothing happened.

This is a great application, think of it almost like the sandbox for Sandboxie!

tn_1.gif

Toolwiz Time Freeze - (http://www.toolwiz.com)

- A freeware for everyone, you can use it at any place, for any purpose
- One click to put your Windows system in a sandbox, no need reboot
- Protect your PC from any undesired changes & malicious threats, dangerous plugins
- Protect your system from any virus, malware, adware, no need update every day
- Make your system solid, you will always use a brand new PC every day
- Try/test any new software in your system without risk
- All changes will be discarded when your system is closed, except ones in the Exclusion List

An awesome free alternative to Shadow Defender, although excellent in its own right

ToolWiz%20Time%20Freeze.png

ToolWiz Time Machine - (http://www.toolwiz.com)

- Powerful rollback utility to prevent data loss and improve PC security
- Easy & Quick to create snapshots to backup your entire system and disk partition
- Provide instant and comprehensive recovery of your entire system and disk partition
- Schedule automatic system snapshots hourly to ensure highly relevant restore points

Kind of like Time Machine on OSX, but heaps better!

Toolwiz%20Time%20Machine.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Cain Do you know if Toolwiz Time Machine will be Windows 8.x compatible any time soon?

I've used Toolwiz Time Freeze before, I'll check it out again.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

you can't really say that SD of TTF are Sbie alternatives since they are full system virtualization unlike Sbie that sandbox only programs/processes and few components of the system.

about Defensewall it should be the best Sbie replacement unfortunately the devs don't want/can't make it x64 compatible (that is a real shame since now most system are x64)

Reactions: wannabegeek

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
@Huracan I have not used Toolwiz Time Machine on Win8, but it Toolwiz do state that it's compatible, and there is talk of it being used on Win8.1 at http://forums.toolwiz.com/

Version : 1.0.1.16
Date : 12/23/2013
Size : 3.5 MB
License : Freeware
Support : win7(32/64bit)/win8(32/64bit)/Vista(32/64bit)
Hardware : 500 MHz CPU/512MB RAM/2GB HDD/SSD

@Umbra Polaris I understand that these cannot technically be compared as alternatives, and that's not what I was meaning to suggest. I was getting more at the point that they can achieve similar objectives, and may be a viable alternative for use.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
How about Virtual Box?

vbox_logo2_gradient.png

https://www.virtualbox.org/

"VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while Oracle ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria."

From what I have read & watched here on video reviews, Virtual Box provides containment for an entire OS (such as linux ubuntu) which can then be test driven safely without actually installing or committing to duel boot, beside a host system.
OK, some really great alternatives I highly recommend checking out...

Shadow Defender - (http://www.shadowdefender.com/)

Shadow Defender can run your system in a virtual environment called 'Shadow Mode'. 'Shadow Mode' redirects each system change to a virtual environment with no change to your real environment. If you experience malicious activities and/or unwanted changes, perform a reboot to restore your system back to its original state, as if nothing happened.

This is a great application, think of it almost like the sandbox for Sandboxie!

tn_1.gif

Toolwiz Time Freeze - (http://www.toolwiz.com)

- A freeware for everyone, you can use it at any place, for any purpose
- One click to put your Windows system in a sandbox, no need reboot
- Protect your PC from any undesired changes & malicious threats, dangerous plugins
- Protect your system from any virus, malware, adware, no need update every day
- Make your system solid, you will always use a brand new PC every day
- Try/test any new software in your system without risk
- All changes will be discarded when your system is closed, except ones in the Exclusion List

An awesome free alternative to Shadow Defender, although excellent in its own right

ToolWiz%20Time%20Freeze.png

ToolWiz Time Machine - (http://www.toolwiz.com)

- Powerful rollback utility to prevent data loss and improve PC security
- Easy & Quick to create snapshots to backup your entire system and disk partition
- Provide instant and comprehensive recovery of your entire system and disk partition
- Schedule automatic system snapshots hourly to ensure highly relevant restore points

Kind of like Time Machine on OSX, but heaps better!

Toolwiz%20Time%20Machine.png

Cain, in our home we're using (and growing more accustomed to) Shadow Defender on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. Even Time Freeze has been installed on a retired XP ...just in case.:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
ReHIPS and Shadow Defender seem to be very slow in development area.:(

Moose, I remember having read an older thread (was it this one?:confused:) how the developer of Shadow Defender (Tony) had reappeared after a long absence.:)
I'm quite new to this seasoned protection.:cool:

Is ReHips
the same as Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS?)o_O (I looked it up) as is included with ESET NOD 32 Antivirus.

Last edited:

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Cain, in our home we're using (and growing more accustomed to) Shadow Defender on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems. Even Time Freeze has been installed on a retired XP ...just in case.:rolleyes::D

Made me grin :D
I also give credit with Virtual Box, it definitely makes certain tasks a breeze to deal with. Especially when I like to test out a software giveaway but hate clogging up my system with all the install/uninstall (even after all the cleansing, it still impacts the overall performance after a while).

D

Deleted member 178

ReHips is not even Final , why you say slow development...Shadow defender is complete , all Tony's Team will do now is to fix potential bugs and holes if discovered.

Is ReHips the same as Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS?)o_O (I looked it up) as is included with ESET NOD 32 Antivirus.

no , it works differently , but the result is the same:

Code:
ReHIPS doesn't detect malware. Instead it uses Windows built-in access control mechanisms to ensure system safety and data security. Thus ReHIPS is always actual and doesn't require frequent updates.

Unlike some other sandboxes ReHIPS doesn't use kernel-mode hooks, splicing and other unsafe rootkit-techniques. It is based on documented Windows security mechanisms ensuring system stability.

D

Deleted member 178

ReHips is not even Final , why you say slow development...Shadow defender is complete , all Tony's Team will do now is to fix potential bugs and holes if discovered.

Is ReHips the same as Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS?)o_O (I looked it up) as is included with ESET NOD 32 Antivirus.

no , it works differently , but the result is the same:

Code:
ReHIPS doesn't detect malware. Instead it uses Windows built-in access control mechanisms to ensure system safety and data security. Thus ReHIPS is always actual and doesn't require frequent updates.

Unlike some other sandboxes ReHIPS doesn't use kernel-mode hooks, splicing and other unsafe rootkit-techniques. It is based on documented Windows security mechanisms ensuring system stability.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
I was just talking in general not specifies details.:eek: But they get the same results in the end.
I understand that ReHIPS and Shadow Defender are two different security software.

Well ReHIPS is still in beta! Let see when they get out of Beta. This why,I said, that seem to be very slow in development area.
Now for Shadow Defender (Tony) being gone for along period of time/absence. And the latest headache in April with the new release
of SD on Win8.1 ; you will hard reboot or get a BSOD. Or the PC with not even boot. Again, t
his is why I said seem to be very slow in development area.

Again, let see what happen?

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
You should try ShadowDefender, it's a great alternative, I'm using this piece of software for 2 years.
I've also heard of Returnil, but I don't know how good is. :cool:
Shadow defender is far better than Returnil. Returnil hasn't really been updated in a while. I know that they have the newest program called Quietzone. I used it a few times and wasn't impressed. The so called "bullet proof browser" is nothing more than Tor browser add one with noscript running. I also had a couple of BSOD while running it. You'll get better performance with Shadow defender and using it's Ram cache. Shadow defender also performs track 0 virtualization.

I was just talking in general not specifies details.:eek: But they get the same results in the end.
I understand that ReHIPS and Shadow Defender are two different security software.

Well ReHIPS is still in beta! Let see when they get out of Beta. This why,I said, that seem to be very slow in development area.
Now for Shadow Defender (Tony) being gone for along period of time/absence. And the latest headache in April with the new release
of SD on Win8.1 ; you will hard reboot or get a BSOD. Or the PC with not even boot. Again, t
his is why I said seem to be very slow in development area.

Again, let see what happen?
Not sure when this April release was ever a problem. I'm using shadow defender on win 8.1 64 bit and haven't had any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.