Sandboxie alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Yeah I did notice that on Wilders. I didn't notice that on SD forum though. I think it might have been a conflict with other software. As stated I don't have any issues with it and neither do some other folks that are running Win 8.1 with SD. It's just like me running WSA and sandboxie services running 240K each. Depends on each users systems unfortunately.

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Shadow defender is far better than Returnil. Returnil hasn't really been updated in a while. I know that they have the newest program called Quietzone. I used it a few times and wasn't impressed. The so called "bullet proof browser" is nothing more than Tor browser add one with noscript running. I also had a couple of BSOD while running it. You'll get better performance with Shadow defender and using it's Ram cache. Shadow defender also performs track 0 virtualization.

Not sure when this April release was ever a problem. I'm using shadow defender on win 8.1 64 bit and haven't had any issues.
Probably. I've heard about the new project. So, will Returnil become a forgotten software? I say that because I searched on Google and found this software is really outdated.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shade has problems with chrome, if you want to log into your chrome account with everything synced
it works the first time, but after a reboot, it has issues. that was my experience. windows 10 x64, chrome x64.
if you don't care about having your personalized chrome, then it's fine.

Comodo can virtualize the browser, similar to Sandboxie, and it works without issues.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you can also use Browser-In-The-Box, if you like
It installs the browser of your choice, running in linux, in a VirtualBox framework.
You get the whole kit in one big installation file.
But it's not like Sandboxie, because it doesn't integrate with your desktop. It stays pretty separate, except for downloads.

Dan Malwarian

Level 1
Jun 1, 2016
you can also use Browser-In-The-Box, if you like
It installs the browser of your choice, running in linux, in a VirtualBox framework.
You get the whole kit in one big installation file.
But it's not like Sandboxie, because it doesn't integrate with your desktop. It stays pretty separate, except for downloads.
Shade has problems with chrome, if you want to log into your chrome account with everything synced
it works the first time, but after a reboot, it has issues. that was my experience. windows 10 x64, chrome x64.

Comodo can virtualize the browser, similar to Sandboxie, and it works without issues.
I'll soley be using it for Tor browser under win 8.1. Prefer a sandbox program. Will check out Browser-In-The-Box anyway. Thanks.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'll soley be using it for Tor browser under win 8.1. Prefer a sandbox program. Will check out Browser-In-The-Box anyway. Thanks.
sorry, I didn't realize that TOR has it's own unique browser. I have never been on TOR before.
with the browser-in-the-box thing, I think you have to choose between firefox and chrome. I don't think you have any other options there.
Maybe shade will work for you.
you can email them for support.
If they don't answer, it means they can't solve your problem...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Dan Malwarian: I've tested the most earlier version before of Shade Sandbox (premature that time) and I can see its simplicity however things got complicated like you need to reboot your system when removing the sandbox data.

+ People may provide mistakes on the preparation because of misleading borders label if its virtualize or not.

Note: That is preliminary version before, so for sure the current version revamp everything.

D

Deleted member 178

At the moment :

Comodo is the closest thing to Sandboxie; ReHIPS will be better (since you won't have the FW and some of the useless features and it doesn't uses kernel hooks), but you must wait its stable version .

Browser-in-the-box is just a browser ran in a tightly designed version of Virtual Box.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
At the moment :

Comodo is the closest thing to Sandboxie; ReHIPS will be better (since you won't have the FW and some of the useless features and it doesn't uses kernel hooks), but you must wait its stable version .

Browser-in-the-box is just a browser ran in a tightly designed version of Virtual Box.
I actually wonder if Comodo will ever release a standalone sandbox program. There were some rumors that they would, but so far haven't heard anything about it.

Yeah, that seems to be case. Shade cause a huge spike in CPU and Chrome to be unresponsive.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I actually wonder if Comodo will ever release a standalone sandbox program. There were some rumors that they would, but so far haven't heard anything about it..
They already have one called Comodo Cloud Antivirus (CCAV) which it's basically a sandbox with an online AV but it's pretty terrible in my opinion.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.