Advice Request Sandboxie and Voodooshield combo for browsing

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kingdiamond

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 18, 2021
Good day.
This is my second thread, hope you guys can bear with my noob questions.

After some surveys on the net, i would like to have this two main protections for browsing malicious site video streaming.

Sandboxie the browser
Add a Voodooshield (VS) anti exe / whitelisting. ( or is there a better tool for a newbie / noob like me)

- Will that be a good combo for my type of high risk browsing?
- is VS going to be too complicated for a noob with occasional false notification?

I had read on some YouTube video, that VS cause more harm than good for beginner, if they disallow some actions when being alerted, harming the computer. I don't know how can disallowing actions cause harm to a computer.

My computer will have basic software, Windows, browsers and photoshop, that's all i ever use.
And updates on Windows and browsers and javascript or flash will be the only actions that i suppose for myself.

I don't understand why on the YouTube video, the poster is talking about being flooded by hundreds of alerts.

If I'm browsing and video stream malicious website in sandboxie, how will it affect VS alerts?
Whenever javascript is running, there will be alert and if i click NO , then i can't play any video?

Or if i click no on VS , the video will continue running?

Or VS will only alert any potential that escaped sandboxie?

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I don't have any preference, what about Chrome?
Is that suitable?
Edge is the best choice for security, Firefox for privacy for average users. Edge has site permissions and lots of settings to improve the security level. Firefox has user configurations (arkenfox, pyllyukko) to increase privacy (and security, but security wise it is way behind chromium based browsers).

What is your concern security or privacy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingdiamond

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 18, 2021
Edge is the best choice for security, Firefox for privacy for average users. Edge has site permissions and lots of settings to improve the security level. Firefox has user configurations (arkenfox, pyllyukko) to increase privacy (and security, but security wise it is way behind chromium based browsers).

What is your concern security or privacy?
My concern is only security mainly. Malware attacks and keyloggers

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Then Microsoft Edge is your best choice. As posted earlier, best option for you would be to buy a digital license for Windows10 Pro for 10 to 15 euro/dollar and use the hardware virtualisation protection of Application Guard for Edge.

Does you system has 8 GB Ram or more?

Reactions: Nevi

Kingdiamond

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 18, 2021
Then Microsoft Edge is your best choice. As posted earlier, best option for you would be to buy a digital license for Windows10 Pro for 10 to 15 euro/dollar and use the hardware virtualisation protection of Application Guard for Edge.

Does you system has 8 GB Ram or more?
Yes mine has 8gb RAM. Thanks for the recommendations

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Enabling Application Guard for Edge can be done by selecting one (1) Windows option and restart windows to allow installing application guard. Next you have to change one (1) Group Policy setting (with gpedit.msc) and you are done.

It is way easier than configuring Sandboxie and safer because Application Guard is hardware virtualisation, while Sandboxie is software virtualisation.

The other benefit is that Application Guard and Edge are from Microsoft, so near zero chances of any incompatibility issues with Windows Operating System.

Kingdiamond

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 18, 2021
Enabling Application Guard for Edge can be done by selecting one (1) Windows option and restart windows to allow installing application guard. Next you have to change one (1) Group Policy setting (with gpedit.msc) and you are done.

It is way easier than configuring Sandboxie and safer because Application Guard is hardware virtualisation, while Sandboxie is software virtualisation.

The other benefit is that Application Guard and Edge are from Microsoft, so near zero chances of any incompatibility issues with Windows Operating System.
Thank you very much for sharing.
So with Edge Application Guard, it should stop the risk of kernel level attack or whether Zero Day virus attacks?
Even if when i video stream and the flash player it javascript has some malware in it, it will still be contained?

My windows in windows 10 Home edition, with that i shall be able to subscribe pro edition as well?

Minimum requirement 8gb ram, mine is 8gb RAM, any risk of slowdown?
My processor is core5 Intel

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

You have to buy a Windows Pro license (available for 10 to 15 euros on the Internet, don't buy it from Microsoft)

Your RAM is sufficient and your CPU is strong enough. There is always some slowdown when virtualizing (no matter what option you are using) but for video streaming you won't notice it.

You won't stop the risk of kernel level attack or Zero Day virus attack, only minimizing it as much as possible. But the fear for flash is alarming (link). I think someone has frightened you for risks which have a lower chance of occurring than being hit by a bus when crossing a street :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.