Sandboxie & other Sandbox/Containment Software

Do you use Sandboxie or other Containment Software?

• Total voters

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I sandbox my browser when investigating potentially malicious links, other than that I just use my browser normally as you do on the computer.

Shadow Defender is only enabled when I need to install software on my system that could potentially be malicious or could break my system, and will not install in sandboxie (sometimes due to needing to install drivers and such which sandboxie is unable to allow). After the installation I monitor my PC for awhile before wiping it entirely and decide if I want to install the software again.

I also have Malwarebytes Anti-exploit running at all times, however I'm currently using Vivaldi browser and it doesn't seem to have a shield for it in the free version of MBAE. But when sandboxing Tor or Chrome browsers, MBAE works like a charm.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
sandboxie is a bit of a pain to use, and it is not clear whether it makes chrome more secure or less secure.
if you use a good browser like chrome or firefox, and you disable flash, and you don't click on ads, what is going to happen to you, anyways? I assume you already uninstalled java from your computer a long time ago...
you can just run a good anti-exploit like hitmanpro.alert, if you want extra protection.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, I use Sandboxie as is announced by the rather oversized banner on my signature which somewhat resembles a pepperoni pizza slice shaped like a kite without it's tail!:p:D
I place all browsers within it most of the time (except when updating) as I would place a rain coat about myself if I were stepping outside into the wet precipitous air. I realize Sandboxie may not be a complete protection, but as is often said about chicken soup "It doesn't hurt!". I swear by it.:cool: A template?:confused: Although, to my knowledge I've not used one, it sounds fascinating.:) I've not engaged in malware testing (yet) but have used Virtual Box, and currently use VMware to install Windows OS & linux distros without having to commit to placing them on my main (host) system.
Recently, I'd begun installing xubuntu (a lighter distro version based upon ubuntu) before coming to realize "Oops, I forgot to exit Shadow Defender's Shadow mode first!o_O :mad:",;) and Shadow Defender is an excellent way (as already mentioned above:rolleyes:) to test software, as well as having a ready "reset button" handy when needed. Virtualization, imo, is a proven way to stay relatively safe because we all commit boo-boos from time to time.:cool:

Personally, I'm very interested into looking further into Chrome's and Edge's sandboxing (app container) abilities.

@Logethica, by the sound of what you've shared, if Sandboxie can be made more compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-executable (or vice versa) why not try using a template, or as suggested by Umbra "ReHips for the win :D" ?

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

• Malware Testing
  • Rollback RX - it is convenient for it allows a reboot and retains current snapshot; snapshot can be easily deleted
Sandboxie is a very good system protection software, it's just in my experience there are continual issues with OS and browser updates. In other words, the number of on-going issues is an inconvenience\annoyance and interferes with my work.

L

LabZero

I use Sandboxie and Shadow Defender and both offer solid protection against malware infections.
Of course, an exploit could take advantage of a certain vulnerability and "pierce" them, but these exploits are not public, even if everything is possible.
I use VM for malware analysis.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Sandboxie has been in my PC for 3yrs...Never had an infection:D, also installed app/soft unsandboxed and sometimes update it from the sandbox just to minimized possible exploits. Very configurable if you know what your doing like the part that I can set the container to RAMdisk for easy Browser clean-up.
Shadow Defender On-demand.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Currently use VM workstation every now and again to test malware. Used to have sandboxie for browsing but I always get this gut falling where I shouldn't change anything since nothing is broken. I geuss Avast Safezone browser is kind of like sandboxie browser. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.