Sandboxie to enable safe use of winXP after april 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

broughie

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Will it be safe to use XP in 2014 if internet & any downloads are always run in Sandboxie , backed up by real time avast8 & mbam pro ,win patrol , vtuploader for downloads check, etc & with java uninstalled.
As I understand, 95% of malware is sourced from the internet/downloads & online email so Sandboxie should isolate & keep XP safe , (combined with safe practices of course) ,despite the withdrawal of XP updates ?

broughie

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
thanks for reassuring response bo.elam will take on board your suggestion to extend sandboxing to usb which i use a lot ,plus programs & dvd .
re deep freeze (thanks Detection) have considered it, seems ideal for unchanging pc's as in schools etc but may be inconvenient to me as heavy user of excell, word & photo programs on daily basis so would need to be constantly thawing and freezing pc thus be open to slip ups and loss of files/data.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
broughie said:
thanks for reassuring response bo.elam will take on board your suggestion to extend sandboxing to usb which i use a lot ,plus programs & dvd .
re deep freeze (thanks Detection) have considered it, seems ideal for unchanging pc's as in schools etc but may be inconvenient to me as heavy user of excell, word & photo programs on daily basis so would need to be constantly thawing and freezing pc thus be open to slip ups and loss of files/data.

afaik, you can nominate a partition or drive that is not frozen, so windows would be safe, and so long as you saved to that drive or partition, it would save fine

EDIT - See here
http://support.faronics.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/258

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.