Battle Sandboxie VS COMODO Sandbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
You using SBIE instead of Comodo manual sandbox, tells me that
YOU know SBIE is the better program of the 2. That says it all.

No... :rolleyes:

That says I think Sandboxie is more configurable. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
bo.elam said:
You using SBIE instead of Comodo manual sandbox, tells me that
YOU know SBIE is the better program of the 2. That says it all.

No... :rolleyes:

That says I think Sandboxie is more configurable. Nothing more, nothing less.
On a sports team if you compared two players, #1 scoring on every game
and #2 scoring once every five games, if I am asked which player is better,
it would not make sense if I said, the player that scores more often is not
better, its just that he scores every day.;)

Cheers

Bo

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I agree with Heffe. It's not about "better" but about what suits that specific program and/or user.
IMO. The more configurable a sandboxing program is, the tighter the security
in the sandbox that's achieved, the results? less chances of anything escaping
the sandbox.

Bo

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
IMO. The more configurable a sandboxing program is, the tighter the security
in the sandbox that's achieved, the results? less chances of anything escaping
the sandbox.

:huh:

I'm really not sure how configurability decreases the chances of something escaping the sandbox...

OK, I didn't understand the point of your sports analogy. You're somehow implying that Sandboxie scores more often? :s

Here's a real-world analogy of what I am saying about the difference between Sandboxie and Comodo. I use an electric razor instead of a blade. Does this mean I think electrics are better? No, it's just more convenient so I use it.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
I'm really not sure how configurability decreases the chances of something escaping the sandbox...

OK, I didn't understand the point of your sports analogy. You're somehow implying that Sandboxie scores more often? :s
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings#overview
Having more options for configurations is like scoring more often.
Configurations in SBIE make its sandbox have better chances for
keeping anything from escaping.

From the link:
"You can place additional restrictions on programs, to tighten the
security of the sandbox".

I do believe every one of those words, I guess you dont.

Bo

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
The thing about Comodo si that you might be stuck on Limited instead of Restricted due to a single setting when there couldbe multiple changes.

With sandboxie you get to check off the individual things.

More configurability also means more user error often.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
I do believe every one of those words, I guess you dont.

-Sigh-

I think you're completely missing the point.

If you really want to get technical, remember that Comodo's sandbox has all the power of Defense+ behind it. You can 'tighten up' your sandbox all you want. Every single bit of control you have over an application through the HIPS can be brought to bear on applications in the sandbox. I can restrict sandboxed programs up the wazoo with D+!

Perhaps I should have specified which type of configurability I was talking about. I mean usability things like automatically deleting the contents of a sandbox if I close an application, or mulitple sandboxes, or some sort of indication on an applications window that it is in the sandbox... I don't mean that Sandboxie gives me any upper hand when it comes to the security of the sandbox.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
If you really want to get technical, remember that Comodo's sandbox has all the power of Defense+ behind it. You can 'tighten up' your sandbox all you want.
:sI thought we were talking Sandbox, now you bring Defense+ into the
game. Heffe, I use SBIE alone, nothing else and run as an administrator.
Would you do the same, would you feel confident enough to run Comodos
manual sandbox on its own(No AV, No Defense+, No FW) or not and run as
an adm?.

Bo

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
We are talking about the sandbox. You can't get the sandbox without CIS. No need to cut off our nose to spite our face. If the tools are there, we're fools not to utilize them.

Would I run things in the manual sandbox without an AV, HIPS, Firewall, as an admin? No, of course not. I wouldn't do it with Sandboxie either... ;)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
We are talking about the sandbox. You can't get the sandbox without CIS. No need to cut off our nose to spite our face. If the tools are there, we're fools not to utilize them.

Would I run things in the manual sandbox without an AV, HIPS, Firewall, as an admin? No, of course not. I wouldn't do it with Sandboxie either... ;)
My experience proves that this can be done using dedicated restricted sandboxes
with very little brain work required. Try it sometime, you might get to like it.

Take care friend

Bo

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Being a dedicated sandboxing application, Sandboxie is much more customizable and this means that you will be able to run a wider range of software applications inside it and run them just the way you want it (for example you might want to allow direct access to your bookmarks file when sandboxing your browser, while still preventing other files on your system from being changed).

As for running a VM inside a sandbox, a virtual machine is already an isolated environment and should prevent your system from being infected. It is theoretically possible to encounter malware that exploits vulnerabilities that the VM has and try to escape virtualization so you should keep your VM software up to date. Install some good protection on your host (HIPS, EMET2) and have a backup that you can use to restore your real system. I think this is much better than running a VM inside a sandbox.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
RE: Sandboxie vs Sandboxie of CIS

ocsi said:
What say about this comparation:
Sandboxie 3.62 vs Sandboxie of CIS 5.9?

Since the sandbox hasn't changed in 5.9, all of the previous discussions still apply.

I'm hoping that version 6 brings about a more full-featured sandbox, but at the moment, I'm still using Sandboxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.