Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo's Sandbox is part of their Internet Security which works differently.

For ease of use Sandboxie all the way.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i never sandboxing a VM when test on there (VM).
and just turn off my antivirus when i test. you know few times you ever see my avast detect links, then i turn it OFF my avast (all features).

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
For me, the answer to which program is better is easy. Sandboxie is better
not only because NOTHING escapes the sandbox but the program usage of
resources is about zero. Neither of those points can be said of Comodos
sandbox which, if you want to have it, you need to install a whole suit or
at least a FW/AV.

Even though both programs use sandboxing, they do work different and
in my opinion should not be compared.

By the way, there is a free version of SBIE, which is just as good
(safety wise)as the paid one. The main difference being that with the
paid version, sandboxing becomes more automatic as you can have
programs and folders open sandboxed when they are opened or
executed. On the paid version you can also have more than one
sandbox open at the same time.

You can use SBIE as part of a layered setup or use it alone as I am
doing. Neither way, you ll get infected if you use SBIE as its supposed
to be used.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

they dont work in the same way so u cant really compare them.

you can compare : Comodo andbox vs Avast free sandbox for example, not sandboxie

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well...to have use the COMODO manual sandbox you need to have CIS installed ...so from start their is major minus.
Also the COMODO sandbox isn't very userfriendly , in order to remove anything from the VritualRoot folder, you need to delete it manually or restarting your computer.
Sandboxie is a dedicated sandbox so I'll vote with this software the main minus would be the nag screen which can be seen after the 30 days.... :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
Well...to have use the COMODO manual sandbox you need to have CIS installed ...so from start their is major minus.
Also the COMODO sandbox isn't very userfriendly , in order to remove anything from the VritualRoot folder, you need to delete it manually or restarting your computer.
Sandboxie is a dedicated sandbox so I'll vote with this software the main minus would be the nag screen which can be seen after the 30 days.... :)

I am planning to sandbox a Virtual Machine, which one do you recommend?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
You are using VM Workstation right? This product it's pretty solid so you shouldn't have any malware leaks , just secure your system with a good hips and their won;t be a need to sandbox the VM.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
You are using VM Workstation right? This product it's pretty solid so you shouldn't have any malware leaks , just secure your system with a good hips and their won;t be a need to sandbox the VM.

Can I know what do you mean by "just secure your system with a good hips"? :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
For me, the answer to which program is better is easy. Sandboxie is better
not only because NOTHING escapes the sandbox but the program usage of
resources is about zero. Neither of those points can be said of Comodos
sandbox

I'm not aware of anything that has been able to get out of Comodo's manual sandbox...

I think the big confusion here is that Comodo has two sandboxes in CIS. The automatic sandbox that works on access restriction methods, (similar to the Chromium sandbox) and the manual sandbox, which is a fully virtualized environment.

Currently, I use Sandboxie because the manual sandbox in CIS is not as configurable as Sandboxie is. That is the only reason. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe the manual sandbox is any less secure than Sandboxie.

That said, I think sandboxing your VM is a bit overkill. As Jack said, if you have a good HIPS on your system, anything that jumps out of the VM won't bother you.

It's also a very specialized type of malware that can jump out of a VM. Not very common.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The reason why malware testing isn’t safe is because some viruses try to use Virtual Machine ports to communicate with the real-machine, so using a good firewall/hips should prevent that activity.The COMODO Firewall or Online Armor Firewall should secure your system.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
@HeffeD As far as you know , does COMODO have any plans to release a separate manual sandbox?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
The reason why malware testing isn’t safe is because some viruses try to use Virtual Machine ports to communicate with the real-machine, so using a good firewall/hips should prevent that activity.The COMODO Firewall or Online Armor Firewall should secure your system.

I am currently using COMODO Firewall with Defense+ so that's why I am asking about COMODO's Sandbox.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
@HeffeD As far as you know , does COMODO have any plans to release a separate manual sandbox?

You mean a standalone sandbox, separate from CIS? Not that I'm aware of.

I'm hoping that along with full virtualization of the automatic sandbox in version 6, usability of the manual sandbox will also be improved. I love Sandboxie, but it's never a bad thing if you don't have to run another application. :)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Comodo's is free. That's enough of a reason to use it for me.

I use Comodo Firewall and Defense+, which I use to sandbox Java and a few other applications. I can also right click suspicious files and run them in a manual sandbox, which will fully virtualize the file system.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Comodo's is free. That's enough of a reason to use it for me.

I use Comodo Firewall and Defense+, which I use to sandbox Java and a few other applications. I can also right click suspicious files and run them in a manual sandbox, which will fully virtualize the file system.

Do you recommend me to sandbox VMware Workstation?

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Sure. Why not? If it breaks it, just undo it. If it doesn't break it, nothing of value is lost and you could potentially protect yourself from VM jumping malware, which by the way I have never seen.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
I'm not aware of anything that has been able to get out of Comodo's manual sandbox...

I think the big confusion here is that Comodo has two sandboxes in CIS. The automatic sandbox that works on access restriction methods, (similar to the Chromium sandbox) and the manual sandbox, which is a fully virtualized environment.

Currently, I use Sandboxie because the manual sandbox in CIS is not as configurable as Sandboxie is. That is the only reason. I've seen nothing that leads me to believe the manual sandbox is any less secure than Sandboxie.
I like Comodo, I like ALL programs that do sandboxing as I think
its the best thing that I discovered in front of a PC. Luckily, I
had the opportunity of using the best 2(SBIE and DefenseWall).

You using SBIE instead of Comodo manual sandbox, tells me that
YOU know SBIE is the better program of the 2. That says it all.
Comodos sandbox not being able to be configured as it can be
done in Sandboxie is a huge difference, Heffe.
Start/Run/Internet restrictions is in part what makes SBIE great.

Take good care
Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.