Troubleshoot Scary Headscratcher

siriuscat

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 26, 2016
Greetings, All.

My system: Win-7 64-Bit, Gateway GT5694, AMD Phenom II (updated from Phenom I), GeForce GT 610, 8GB, 2TB (You guys seem interested in these things. It's good enough for me :) Addenda: I have some "Bad Practices" such as Too Many Programs, WAY too much on my desktop, too many startups, etc. Machine's on all the time. I don't mind the slow starts or having to reboot at least every 24 hours to prevent weird stuff from happening. And I have probably just answered my own question :))

Day before yesterday (machine only up 8 hours): No right-click menu, can't drag a file or desktop items. Open a folder and it's empty; reopen and it's repopulated but without icons. Start Menu won't stay open for more than 1/10 second, no F-Keys operational, therefore can't reboot normally. Oh, system did NOT seem particularly busy according to System Explorer. Hard rebooted 3 times, no change. Opened my AV (Panda Internet Security 2016), clicked Scan - no response. Scanned with what else I had: MB and SAS. A few hours later they had found the usual PUPs. However, by this time, everything had returned to normal. Now able to do a full AV scan, which returned nothing.

Hadn't been to any new sites. Only recent change to my system: Plugged-in a new keyboard. (Note: all symptoms persisted when I unhooked it) A BRAND NEW USB KEYBOARD (MotoSpeed K70L), ordered via Ebay and shipped DIRECT from CHINA.

I have heard stories about infected hardware, therefore I am afraid to hook it up again. And yet, the (nevertheless severe and scary) problem fixed itself. So probably it's just another "one-of-those-things-that's-easily-fixed-with-a-reboot-and-forgotten-about" - this one just happened also to prevent a Simple Reboot. Right? RIGHT? And if I had any kind of badware I would still be having problems - right?

I really like this keyboard...

- S.

PS I adore this site - it is a goldmine. Wish I had more time to spend here.

Reactions: AtlBo and toto

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
could be that the keyboard drivers conflict with your security software. try uninstalling all the drivers/software that came with the keyboard, and reboot.

I once had a very nasty conflict between a fancy microsoft keyboard and webroot. It turned out to be a known issue on the webroot support forum, and they had a fix for it.

Reactions: AtlBo and roger_m
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.