Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I see they're talking about me, so I'll answer :D

Basically, I don't read any company tests (apart from @Adrian Ścibor which I really like). Whether it's AV-Comparative, AV-Test etc, I don't read any.

Then, I don't like the word "competition" because for me, there isn't any. As much as I hate these test boxes, you really need to look at how the test was run (AV configured? recent malware sample? attacks used? etc ).
An AV can do 100% on EXEs and get screwed on .VBS , .JS , .HTA etc ;)

Note that they didn't test DeepInstinct, Trend Micro's ApexOne and other big names...

(And I've been doing corporate AVs for a while now, and honestly, they're the ones I prefer to test :p )

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
And before someone suggests it, getting rid of PowerShell, etc. is not always an option.
It is an option most of the time. I am not sure in this day and age which sysadmin will want to run complicated scripts on PowerShell when they can just log-in and do the job quickly, and more reliably.
Of course on a development environment, it may not be brilliant. If the developed software/software installer relies on PowerShell in a way. PowerShell is not the only danger though.

I’ve been living a PowerShell-less life for long time without any issues.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
A well developed anti-malware application should have no issue with Scriptors of any type. The desire to have various things blocked (like PowerShell or vbs) is just catering to those products that are not as well coded.

The burden is that the developer should differentiate between the good and the bad, and not for the User to determine what should or should not be run.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
A well developed anti-malware application should have no issue with Scriptors of any type. The desire to have various things blocked (like PowerShell or vbs) is just catering to those products that are not as well coded.

The burden is that the developer should differentiate between the good and the bad, and not for the User to determine what should or should not be run.
Agreed. But then again its not easy. Simple scripts can even breach these solutions. Even some of the betters ones always get bypassed. I guess its all about lowering damages and insurance payouts.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It’s easy to say what should and shouldn’t be done but when one attempts to do it, there is a whole load of challenges that come up.

Reactions: piquiteco

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.