Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Has anyone who has secunia psi having problems with it not loading?
Secunia has just suddenly stopped working for me. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times now with no success. I have checked the Secunia forum to see if anyone else has the same problem, a solution has been suggested and worked for one person, but it doesn't work for me. I have also tried a fresh installer.

The only think that I can think of is that I recently upgraded to KIS 2013 from KIS 2012. I tried running it with KIS deactivated, but still no luck.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13165/programm_doesn_t_work_at_all

I have version 3.0.0.3001
Any ideas?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Use a program such as IObit Uninstaller to uninstall Secunia and find the left over traces and files that the default uninstaller leaves behind.

Tested on a fresh installation of Windows 7, Working fine.

You could give Kaspersky an uninstall, see if the problem persists. :s

Upvote 0

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Tried IObit Uninstaller and uninstall/reinstall KIS, Secunia still wont load

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:
Secunia still wont load

Could you provide more detail? Do you mean when you double click the shortcut to start the program, It doesn't start or show any application window at all?

Have you checked Task Manager after clicking the shortcut to see if its running in the background?

Or do you mean it shows the program or doesn't load the results on what needs updating?

Upvote 0

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Secunia shows up in the taskbar.
The GUI appears, it says Loading. The results don't show up at all.
It appears as if it is stuck while loading

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:
Secunia shows up in the taskbar.
The GUI appears, it says Loading. The results don't show up at all.
It appears as if it is stuck while loading

Check that no firewall is stopping it from downloading the information it needs, Kaspersky Firewall > Disable it completely and add a rule.

Also are you giving it time to load/show the results, I had to wait atleast 7 mins for it to show whats needing to be updated, And this was on a clean installation of Windows 7.

Upvote 0

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Secunia is in TRUSTED category in KIS fiewal.
I let it "Load" for over one hour, still wont work.

Upvote 0

Jaybird

Sep 29, 2012
It stopped working for me, too over the last week. I haven't done anything significant to my computer. I uninstalled and re-installed it.
Sometimes you have good memories of things, but they change. I won't stalk it. So long Secunia PSI.

Upvote 0

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
I am running Secunia PSI 2.0 on my main PC. System tray icon is green but when I double click the icon the gui just sits there saying Verifying Internet Connection with no progress.

I am also running Secunia PSI 3.0 in a VM which also shows the icon in the system tray and when I double click that icon I get the popup message shown below.

capture09292012223334.png

I checked the Secunia PSI Forum, there are a couple of posts asking for answers to the same problem.

I checked the connection to https://psi3.secunia.com/ and it fails.

Upvote 0

asilentfire

Feb 13, 2013
I know this thread is old, but its a top result for searching "Secunia PSI doesn't load"

Secunia PSI uses and is dependent on Internet Explorer, and for me the problem was IE's security settings.
What fixed it for me was following the instructions here Secunia PSI FAQ
In case this page is moved, I will simply paste the instructions here rather than paraphrase:
  1. Open the control panel.
  2. Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
  3. Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
  4. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
  5. Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
  6. Click OK then Yes.
  7. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
  8. Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
  9. Click Close then OK.
  10. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.
Please note that some Internet Security Suites (Kaspersky Internet Security is currently an example) have their own settings for trusted sites. In case you are using such a program, you need to allow “https://*.secunia.com” as a trusted site in this program as well as in Internet Explorer. If you experience any difficulty doing this, please contact the vendor of the program.

Upvote 0

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I did all those steps, but still no luck. I remembered that Secunia finally worked after Kaspersky
released a patch (unrelated to Secunia).

Upvote 0

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Another addition to an old thread, as I just installed Secunia and it wouldn't load.

I followed @asilentfire's directions, but then disable Scripting again, and it still loaded. So it would appear that adding Secunia to Trusted Sites is enough.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.