Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Secunia (PSI) Personal Software Inspector

The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detectvulnerable andout-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks.

The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches. Patches are offered free-of-charge by most software vendors, however, finding all these patches is a tedious and time consuming task. Secunia PSI automates this and alerts you when your programs and plug-ins require updating to stay secure.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Played with it the last 2 weeks and it failed downloading some patches including from Foxit Reader.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
At this moment I'm changing my protection and I'm thinking of giving it another chance.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Its not a means of protection really. Its just a program to be sure that your all your software is current and up to date.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I use and like the program but it does not run in real-time, I simply open and scan occasionally, my main dislike would be for some reason it seems to pause a bit when changing between areas of the program.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
You don't need to run a real time. Just open it open and run a scan then close it. Any advanced user knows where to check for updates anyways such as FileHippo,MajorGeeks,SoftPedia or Neowin. What Secunia is good for is telling you when a product has been patched for security holes. But Jamescv7 post enough news in here to keep us all up to date anyways. When your system is fully patch then you more secure but you cannot look at Secunia as a means of protection in any terms.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Running Secunia PSI in real-time is actually very useful.

Edit: Internet cut off.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Exactly how and what I use it for Dman, just a very simple method to see what new patches are out in the event something gets missed, there is no reason to use Real-Time unless it is for someone that is very much in need of such a thing and wouldn't bother to check no matter how many times they are told they should.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
Running Secunia PSI in real-time is actually very useful.

Edit: Internet cut off.

I just feel it isn't needed for me personally, for clients real-time isn't an issue so long as they have a decent machine.:cool:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have Secunia PSI running in real-time on my parents computer, even though Java is not installed and they use Chrome (built-in Flash Player).

It helps to maintain a 100% score, since I'm not home for half the year.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
I have Secunia PSI running in real-time on my parents computer, even though Java is not installed and they use Chrome (built-in Flash Player).

It helps to maintain a 100% score, since I'm not home for half the year.

For parents, kids, clients, anyone that needs it there is benefit to real-time and I like that it is provided for free, works well.:cool:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just visited Secunia for an OSI, and they've updated their webpage design.

http://secunia.com/

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I use Secunia long time and I think is very good software. Sometimes is detect not necessary update and I ignore them.

For example it responded to the extensions for Songbird which are not need to update.

But Secunia is very good software and thanks it my system is secure.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Secunia Personal Software Inspector v3.0.0.6001 released:

What's new in Secunia Personal Software Inspector 3.0.0.6001:
December 11th, 2012

· Different view - Program Status.Enhanced update performance when new data is received from the server.
· Minor bug fixes. In addition to the above change, a number of minor bug fixes as well as aesthetic and user-experience enhancements have been completed.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
Download

Enjoy!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.