Secunia PSI or Filehippo Update checker?

Secunia PSI or Filehippo Update checker?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Secunia picks up more software, but its downfall is that it has a service, filehippo i like because you can have it running always or just have it on demand but it doesnt pick up everything so i recommend trying both

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I tried PSI, i liked it at first... then it told me 2 files were insecure or something to that point.. so i did as it asked and tried to download the update to find it did not exist for Chrome.

So i just left it and went to Filehippo.. works fine for me :p

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
I'm actually running both. I notice Filehippo will tell you what software has a newer version where Secunia PSI seems to look more at security related updates. At least that's how I see it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I currently use Filehippo for what I need it for. I have never really tried Secunia PSI.

D

Deleted member 178

used to run secunia, but now i ran none of them, i update my soft faster than they remind me. to answer the question, secunia is more security-oriented. so i will choose it.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I prefer Secunia PSI since it covers a lot more aspects such as more software, Windows Updates and others.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The difference were Filehippo Update Checker checks new version through their website and only the application that included in their site would be included.

While Secunia PSI more than ranges than Filehippo Update Checker.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i have been using SUMO for checking software update.....but never tried secunia and filehippo....so i will be testing them on my laptop....let's see.....

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
samit said:
i have been using SUMO for checking software update.....but never tried secunia and filehippo....so i will be testing them on my laptop....let's see.....

The reason I didn't try SUMo is the adware present inside it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For SUMO, it was aware that RelevantKnowledge is known to be adware and optional to install it as SUMO would work fully without the adware thing. AFAIK I read on their website before.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
jamescv7 said:
For SUMO, it was aware that RelevantKnowledge is known to be adware and optional to install it as SUMO would work fully without the adware thing. AFAIK I read on their website before.

That adware was executed automatically but Avira detected it at that time. I found a version without that adware on their website. But why they bundle it with their programs?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I don't trust software that used to bundle Adware with it so I'm not trying SUMo.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
That adware was executed automatically but Avira detected it at that time. I found a version without that adware on their website. But why they bundle it with their programs?

Do you remember if it used the InstallQ installer, because you can Decline installing the bundled software.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:

Do you remember if it used the InstallQ installer, because you can Decline installing the bundled software.

No. It didn't use the InstallQ installer.

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
From these software's I know only Secunia and I think is really good. :) I not want to test another software. I've heard yet about SUMO but I not know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.