Advice Request SecureAPlus as an anti-exe

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering, viewing SecureAPlus purely from the anti-exe point of view, does it support monitoring & allowing/not allowing : parent process -> child process pairs
Or it operates only on the basis is process XYZ allowed to run no matter which process started it?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Voodooshield is better as it uses 50+ engines instead of only 12, its also only like 30 megabytes in task manager compared to securea's 150-180 megabytes, as much as kaspersky and twice as much as norton.
I don't think this answers OP's question. Since the question is about its anti-exe capabilities, not number of AV engines.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Voodooshield is better as it uses 50+ engines instead of only 12, its also only like 30 megabytes in task manager compared to securea's 150-180 megabytes, as much as kaspersky and twice as much as norton.
To use voodooshield with parent/child process control you need to purchase the pro license.
If you want a free software, better to use re:hips :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

If you looking for strict parent-child monitoring, only 2 mechanisms are fitting:
Pure Anti-exe (ERP, VS) and HIPS (Comodo, Spyshelter).
Eventually you have ReHIPS.

If you want a free software, better to use re:hips :)
nope NVT ERP fits better and it is really free, ReHIPS is a demo which have limited sandboxed processes, so no way to use modern browsers with it.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
nope NVT ERP fits better and it is really free, ReHIPS is a demo which have limited sandboxed processes, so no way to use modern browsers with it.
The anti-exe feature of Re:HIPS is not affected by the demo restrictions, only the sandbox part is :)
NVT ERP is free only if you install the v4 beta, v3 is still a paid software :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The anti-exe feature of Re:HIPS is not affected by the demo restrictions, only the sandbox part is
This is very true. But in the current version of ReHIPS, the anti-exe feature is not as strongly configured as in the competitors. Unless you go and tweak the rules, some of them are a little bit on the permissive side, if you are using it without isolation, which is the primary feature. On the other hand, you have to be a real paranoid to isolate modern multi-process browsers such as Chrome and Firefox. They are safe enough without isolation.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Other alternatives have been mentioned and some of them are probably very good solutions for a single machine.

However SecureAplus offers administration via web dashboard - without this feature I'd rather go for no anti-exe at all. It's not meant to compare anti-exe features, it's more like if secureaplus doesn't offer it (unless eg Voodooshied offers a web dashboard in the future), I'll pass on anti-exes altogether.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't tried out SecureAPlus in a couple years, but when I did, it was the weakest of the anti-exe programs available at the time, but also the most user-friendly (unless you try to apply advanced tweaks, at which point it becomes very difficult to use).

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
lol seems this atrocious mechanism get popular recently, some see it as The Graal of security LOL

It's the most honorable, number one, AV on the market.

How do I know?

I've seen all their commercials, and you know, everything you see on TV is true. CNN says so.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

It's the most honorable, number one, AV on the market.
The idea behind it seems efficient on paper, but when you think a bit deeper about it, implementing it is atrocious and requires heavy workforce that even MS don't dare to try lol.
Imagine adding to the list thousands of files on a daily basis LOL.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
The idea behind it seems efficient on paper, but when you think a bit deeper about it, implementing it is atrocious and requires heavy workforce that even MS don't dare to try lol.
Imagine adding to the list thousands of files on a daily basis LOL.

I agree, I also was joking with u

Reactions: shmu26

sap

From SecureAge
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

I was wondering, viewing SecureAPlus purely from the anti-exe point of view, does it support monitoring & allowing/not allowing : parent process -> child process pairs
Or it operates only on the basis is process XYZ allowed to run no matter which process started it?
It operates only on the basis is process XYZ allowed to run no matter which process started it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.