App Review SecureMyBit Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Is this encrypted-protected files safe from Ransomware?
Hello @Av Gurus I didn't make tests with ransomware, but the main way to protect files against ransomware could be to hide them. Anyway I don't think it protects file from modern ransomwares, the main purpose of SecureMyBit is to protect file against malwares which can steal sensitive and personal data, so the personal files can be safe.

L

Lucent Warrior

This software would be an excellent addition to those that test malware on their systems with nothing but Shadow Defender. The user could then encrypt their personal files so that if an infection establishes an outbound, their information is not stolen. Of course many other uses could be applied, but right off the top of my head, i can think of a few that test this way and could benefit.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the video :)

Very nice program and tools :)

Ransomware almost always uses a list of extension for files to be encrypted.

The way it's done for the moment, I think no ransomware know the whole extension :),
but by search for example for "*.docx" it will certainly return on the list any ".docx -blablabla"

An easy solution, reversing the real extension part of the backup encrypted file :)
=> ".xcod -blablabla"

Last edited:
L

LabZero

If a .txt file is encrypted, SMB produces the same file with this extension ". txt-[Encrypted]", it becomes blanc icon.
The original file loses its attributes and you cannot open/access to it according to. txt extension.
In my opinion these files cannot be accessed by ransomware.

Cattura.PNG

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
If a .txt file is encrypted, SMB produces the same file with this extension ". txt-[Encrypted]", it becomes blanc icon.
The original file loses its attributes and you cannot open/access to it according to. txt extension.

View attachment 114684

I'm not sure what functions exactly use every ransomware, if its purely the real extension that is retrieve, the files created this way can be ignored by ransomware.

By function that searches for the beginning of extension like *.txt (like when you search for all files with this extension using windows search), the part after seems to be ignored / not important, so a list of files can be returned if the beginning is recognized.
For encryption, file is just used as binary data, a method to memorize the real extension is used, and the name of the files found (returned on a list by *.extension) is given as parameter, but in this case if a check is done, may be a ransomware should ignore them, not sure.

It would be interesting to test with VM and .jpg files modified this way

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014

View attachment 114684

I will do the test to see what will happens.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To confirm from observation, the program made by the developer itself already smart enough to protect against ransomware considering the extension may not be included for encryption.

Now the problem here.

Is the ransomware can continuously encrypted any files after the execution? What if I decrypt the file using the program; does ransomware manage to detect?

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
To confirm from observation, the program made by the developer itself already smart enough to protect against ransomware considering the extension may not be included for encryption.

Now the problem here.

Is the ransomware can continuously encrypted any files after the execution? What if I decrypt the file using the program; does ransomware manage to detect?
It will depend of your chance :p
If the ransomware is done the way it retrieves a list of all folder by drive and do a loop in each folder to encrypt files with extension in its list, if it get the list of files, for one folder, before you decrypt you file, it can be undetected, only if your file is in one of folders already treated or with a list already returned :D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.