App Review SecureMyBit vs Cerber 3 Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks to LabZero for making this video review (test).
Please note that this video was made only for testing, SecureMyBit doesn't provide a specific anti-ransomware feature. The test was made with a Cerber Ransomware 3 sample.
Unfortunately LabZero is now guest for personal issues :(
Thank you for all your efforts!

LabZero tested SecureMyBit against this type of ransomware and that's not sure that SecureMyBit works also against other types of ransomware.
Please note that it seems Cerber 3 doesn't encrypt .txt files. Test executed under VirtualBox (Windows 7 Home x32), and on host system: Windows 10 Pro x64.

Thanks for watching! ;)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Great share @JM Security, also big thanks to @LabZero for doing this review! SecureMyBit seems to do a pretty good job, unless it's extension is on the list of Ransomware I guess.
One thing: Am I the only one having issues with the resolution of that vid? I tried all resolutions, the only useable but blurry is 720p?

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Great share @JM Security, also big thanks to @LabZero for doing this review! SecureMyBit seems to do a pretty good job, unless it's extension is on the list of Ransomware I guess.
One thing: Am I the only one having issues with the resolution of that vid? I tried all resolutions, the only useable but blurry is 720p?
Yes, the maximum resolution is 720p. ;)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Yes, the maximum resolution is 720p. ;)
Jup, but it is very blurry, I've been watching many vids on less than 1080p? 27' might just be to huge :oops: Sorry for complaining.
Here's a screenshot.
2016-11-01.png
2016-11-01 (1).png

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
W

Wave

Nice work on your project, the video is well-done! :)

I have an idea for your project: when you encrypt files, assign each encrypted file with a different randomly generated custom extension (for example, minimum 5 characters long including some sort of ID number and use of random characters). This way it would be extremely tricky (if not then impossible) for any ransomware sample to specifically single out on a file scan or target files which have been encrypted by your tool! (it would only have to guess if the file is encrypted altogether, via Entropy for example, as opposed to being able to know if it was SMB or not).

It's just an idea. As long as you don't inject any bytes into the encrypted files which can be used as an identification of SMB encryption (or any specific guaranteed file-name modifications to encrypted files which is recursive in your product - e.g. if you made every encrypted file have the filename "SMB_<rest of the file name>" then it could be used as an identifier) it could work out well and nicely if implemented correctly. :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Nice work on your project, the video is well-done! :)

I have an idea for your project: when you encrypt files, assign each encrypted file with a different randomly generated custom extension (for example, minimum 5 characters long including some sort of ID number and use of random characters). This way it would be extremely tricky (if not then impossible) for any ransomware sample to specifically single out on a file scan or target files which have been encrypted by your tool! (it would only have to guess if the file is encrypted altogether, via Entropy for example, as opposed to being able to know if it was SMB or not).

It's just an idea. As long as you don't inject any bytes into the encrypted files which can be used as an identification of SMB encryption (or any specific guaranteed file-name modifications to encrypted files which is recursive in your product - e.g. if you made every encrypted file have the filename "SMB_<rest of the file name>" then it could be used as an identifier) it could work out well and nicely if implemented correctly. :)
"ID number"
To encrypt the file, a password is needed. Then to decrypt the file, same password is needed : an obfuscated (I like this word) extension based on it (not directly using the password, but based on it) => an extension with special char codes is interesting :)

Edited:
Haha : no extension ! (the real extension hidden in the name parts)
=> the way a lot of ransomware works, very annoying method :)

Last edited:
W

Wave

"ID number"
To encrypt the file, a password is needed. Then to decrypt the file, same password is needed : an obfuscated (I like this word) extension based on it (not directly the password, but based on it) => an extension with special char codes is interesting :)
Nice improvement on my suggestion, you helped improve my thinking on the situation too :)

Honestly though, this software isn't even that bad IMO, I personally like it. What I want to see implemented in the future (even in the long future) is additional focus against ransomware: e.g. options to backup/copy across files to special directories which are "locked" from external access and also hidden (to prevent external programs from finding the folder/files within the folder during enumeration attempts, etc).

This software has a lot of potential to be just more than a file encryption tool. But it depends on what the developer wants at the end of the day. Hopefully @JM Security will take the Anti-Ransomware path :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.