Battle Security companies and user privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Which companies respect your privacy, which don't?

Following our recent discussion on Comodo's EULA, I went looking for more information. On the Comodo forum, there were people angry about the EULA as well, and a discussion about it and Comodo's privacy policy. I also found people who decided the EULA was fair enough after open discussions.

Basically, your IP is considered private information, so from the moment you download a product (but not just by browsing the website), they have some private information on you. Other than that, there's telemetry (not optional), any forum participation (optional) and file submission (optional). That's what I could gather so far, maybe I'm missing something but it's not looking too bad to me, what do you guys think?

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
This absurd discussion will go on till the end of the world.

Turn off the cloud if you dont trust it.

If you dont trust comodo then simply dont use it.

This kind of thread is just feeding the paranoid amongst us.

If you want to be really private then disconnect your computer and take up gardening or golf etc.

What on earth have you got to hide?
The issue is ridiculous.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Nothing, I've got nothing to hide. Chill down man. It's just a healthy discussion about security, isn't this what this forum is for?

I just stated right above that file submission is optional, and I personally have no problem submitting any file I find suspicious.

The point here is to have an open discussion so as to dispel misconceptions and expose the facts. Someone stated there was shady stuff, and initially I agreed that wasn't cool. But I went looking for more information, to get the facts on this.

I haven't found anything outstanding in the EULA. So far for me, Comodo is one of the trustworthy companies.

PS: Amiga500 do you understand me now?

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Melih has given a full explanation of the digicert industry in the comodo forum and maybe the dissenters amongst us should read this rather than condemning a company on old and baseless information.

Thanks.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
1st thing any PC/mobile internet user should know before they connect to the Web is that there is no such thing as online privacy. If the Snowden revelations didn't hi-lite that in glaring detail, nothing will. Your data is up for grabs by anyone, everywhere. The best an online user can hope for is that the vendor, service or product they patronize, and trust, will not exploit their customers' data for profit as so many have done.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
aztony, then maybe there is or there can be online privacy. If it depends on how systems and programs operate, that is, how companies and people operate, then it depends on which solutions you choose.

Maybe on Windows there's no way to completely ensure privacy. Maybe there's a way to have minimal intrusion rather than being fully open. If we decide there isn't, so be it, but it should be based on facts.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Jaspion said:
aztony, then maybe there is or there can be online privacy. If it depends on how systems and programs operate, that is, how companies and people operate, then it depends on which solutions you choose.

Maybe on Windows there's no way to completely ensure privacy. Maybe there's a way to have minimal intrusion rather than being fully open. If we decide there isn't, so be it, but it should be based on facts.

Connect to Internet= No privacy, dont need to say more. Impossible to have privacy while you connected with the Internet. You really dont know anything about spying the World like Nsa and what they can do. China is even more horrible on Spying the World. Dont thing a Vpn or something like this hide you lol. Accept it that in this time you have no Privacy on the Net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.