Security configuration for new pc

Baker

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 24, 2018
Hello everyone, I am new in this forum and not a tech-savvy. I bought a surface pro 6 i5 and need some suggestion to set up the security on this device. I like to keep things simple.
My security configuration is
  • Windows 10 home 1803
  • Windows defender-Sandbox enabled, ransomware not enabled
  • Malwarebytes antimalware (on demand scanner only)
  • Firefox with ublock origin (3rd script and frames block)
  • Sandboxie: Download folder, firefox, adobe reader, vlc is forced under sandboxed with auto delete.
I have installed internet download manager but having difficulties running it under sandboxie. Software compatibility under sandboxie is checked but it still not working with firefox 63.0.3 and sandboxie 5.26
Should I enable ransomware protection too? I also want to know about the exploit protection settings. Do you guys use default settings of exploit protection or tweak it for tighter security? If you need to tweak the settings for exploit protection can you give me some direction how to do it?
And if you enable ransomware protection how would you manage app permission for protected folders?

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@Baker If you choose to use a backup program Macrium Reflect 7 is available in a free version and solid.
Maybe search the sandboxie forum if others got the same problem (the devs are helpfull if you explain your problem in detail), or try a beta of sandboxie? For me the betas they offer have been stable like 95% of the time.
For exploits: Maybe take a look at system hardener or/and osarmor from novirusthanks if they fit your needs.
For all tweaking its always handy to have a working backup ready if stuff goes wrong.

kylprq

Level 4
Verified
Jul 26, 2018
ignore it windows defender and use comodo firewall with cruelssister s settings its smoother and no problem here with idm in firefox 63 latest

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.