Advice Request Security flaw running without router firewall? (Windows/Linux)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZeroStrawberries

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
Hey,

At the moment I run Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Windows runs with ESET IS, and Linux only with UFW(default settings)).
I used to run my pc through a router(and therefore have a router firewall), but had to connect it directly into the wall to have a functioning internet connection(slow download speed/non-existant upload speed).

I try to be cautious on the internet, and don't run random scripts/programs.
I haven't noticed any major issues, other than that ESET says that I'm connected to a public network(thinks it is infected by a botnet if I trust the network), and that it sometimes pops up saying that it blocked a connection to a random ip(like on the other side of Europe.) every once in a while(once per month or so).

I am aware that I lost a layer of protection, but I assume that ESET IS would protect my device/traffic well enough even without a router firewall?

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
and that it sometimes pops up saying that it blocked a connection to a random ip(like on the other side of Europe.) every once in a while(once per month or so).
That is, someone is trying to connect to you from the outside? Are you being attacked by hackers? In what mode does your firewall work - automatic or interactive?
I am aware that I lost a layer of protection, but I assume that ESET IS would protect my device/traffic well enough even without a router firewall?
I don’t think that hackers will purposefully attack some ordinary home user. Typically, the targets of professional hackers are at least small and medium businesses. The maximum that threatens an ordinary home user is the attacks of "script-kiddies", or, as they call them, "mother's hackers":LOL:. Eset's firewall will completely protect you from such a threat, if any of them detects your computer at all. In addition, your ISP probably cuts off most of the attacks on its equipment even before the traffic reaches you. :cool:

By the way, I got an idea. It would be nice, given the great configurability of the Eset firewall, for Andy Ful to separately lay out the complete list of rules that are written for the Windows firewall in the Firewall Hardening program, so that they can be written into the Eset firewall. :unsure:

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
As long as both firewalls on both O/S' are blocking inbound by default, then you should be perfectly fine. It just means your O/S firewalls will get bombarded by the Internet "noise" instead of the hardware router, so you will always have lots of firewall log entries, although with UFW, you can set log level to low or even off if you want:

sudo ufw logging low (this is default)
or
sudo ufw logging off

I don't know how this is done in ESET.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.