Security Giant Entrust Breached and Data Stolen

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Approximately two weeks ago, a source told BleepingComputer that Entrust was breached on June 18th and that the hackers stole corporate data during the cyberattack.

However, it wasn't until yesterday that the breach was publicly confirmed when security researcher Dominic Alvieri tweeted a screenshot of a security notice sent to Entrust's customers on July 6th.

"I am writing to let you know that on June 18, we learned that an unauthorized party accessed certain of our systems used for internal operations. We have been working tirelessly to remediate this situation since that moment," reads a security notice from Entrust CEO Todd Wilkinson.

"The first thing I want to tell you is that, although our investigation is ongoing, we have found no indication to date that the issue has affected the operation or security of our products and services."

The security notice confirms that data was stolen from Entrust's internal systems. However, it is not known at this time if this is purely corporate data or customers' and vendors' as well.

More info about Entrust, the company. I consider this "incident" a pretty serious blow to their creds.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I consider this "incident" a pretty serious blow to their creds.
Agreed, with their protection breeched (my guess inside job) great opportunity for rival security company's

Top Entrust Alternatives​

• Duo
  • Microsoft
  • RSA
  • SecureAuth
  • Broadcom (Symantec)
  • IBM
  • Ping Identity
  • SecurEnvoy

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
LockBit ransomware group steps up and claims responsibility.

When ransomware gangs publish data on their data leak sites, they usually leak data over time to scare the victim into returning to the negotiation table.

As LockBit states that they will publish all data, it indicates that Entrust has not negotiated with the ransomware operation or refuses to give in to their demands.

BleepingComputer has reached out to Entrust for further confirmation on the LockBit attack but has not heard back at this time.

However, LockBit claiming of the attack supports what sourced had told BleepingComputer previously about who was responsible.

LockBit is considered one of the most active ransomware operations at this time, with its public-facing operation 'LockBitSupp' actively engaging with threat actors and cybersecurity researchers.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The LockBit ransomware group last week claimed responsibility for an attack on cybersecurity vendor in June. The high-profile gang is now apparently under a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) because of it. Azim Shukuhi, a cybersecurity researcher with Cisco's Talos threat intelligence group, wrote in a tweet over the weekend that "someone is DDoSing the Lockbit blog hard right now." LockBitSupp, the public face of LockBit that interacts with companies and cybersecurity researchers, told Shukuhi that the group's data leak site was getting 400 requests a second from more than 1,000 servers and that the group promised to add more resources to the site and to "drain the ddosers money," he wrote.

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
LockBit is back with a literal vengeance! Was it ever confirmed that Entrust was behind the initial DDoS attack or is it still speculation?

The DDoS attack last weekend that put a temporary stop to leaking Entrust data was seen as an opportunity to explore the triple extortion tactic to apply more pressure on victims to pay a ransom.

LockBitSupp said that the ransomware operator is now looking to add DDoS as an extortion tactic on top of encrypting data and leaking it.

“I am looking for dudosers [DDoSers] in the team, most likely now we will attack targets and provide triple extortion, encryption + date leak + dudos, because I have felt the power of dudos and how it invigorates and makes life more interesting,” LockBitSupp wrote in a post on a hacker forum.

The gang also promised to share over torrent 300GB of data stolen from Entrust so “the whole world will know your secrets.”

LockBit’s spokesperson said that they would share the Entrust data leak privately with anyone that contacts them before making it available over torrent.

It appears that LockBit has kept its promise and released this weekend a torrent called “entrust.com” with 343GB of files.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.