Advice Request Security product which will show alerts when a program is accessing the internet

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I'm very happy with Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx Software (despite the name also compatible to Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 (R2,SP1), Windows Server 2012 (R2)). It uses the built-in Firewall of Windows and enhances it with outbound alerts.

Super light and non-intrusive. Super-easy to use.

Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software

Note that the free version (which is good enough IMO) will auto-allow Windows Processes (which is good, because you can damage a lot blocking them accidently, and which is bad, as some malware targets Windows Processes to misuse them for it's own activity, which includes sending data over).
You will get a notification (with sound) once a programme tries calling out. If you close the window, the service is blocked until user changes it to allow once / allow by rule.
It remembers services, so they don't need another rule next install.
1545247797290.png

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@Der.Reisende Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx is a really solid program and superior to wfc that just manipulates the windows firewall. Though it has a high price and a really ugly gui.
If I had to choose I would be really unsure because $36 for the plus, that it's the only one worth it after the free, is a lot (maybe if it's lifetime for all future versions I am fine with it). For the normal user though i would recommend the free version of Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx instead of wfc any day.

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
@Der.Reisende Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx Software is a really solid program and superior to wfc that just manipulates the windows firewall. Though it has a high price and a really ugly gui.
If I had to choose I would be really unsure because $36 for the plus, that it's the only one worth it after the free, is a lot (maybe if it's lifetime for all future versions I am fine with it). For the normal user though i would recommend the free version of Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx Software instead of wfc any day.
Yes, I'm using the Free version also.
Thought about buying the paid one, but:
*after giving the paid ones a try (simply download it), it will bombard you with firewall requests, you might get lazy and allow something that's really malicious (the free one does only ask for non-windows services, which make up most cases and are related to 3rd-party software and or malware)
*not sure whether I have to buy a new key / contact the support once I reset the PC (I don't recall that sentence: "Re-registration is required after upgrade or re-installation onto a different media (backup restoration causes the media virtually changed sometimes). The registration code change confirms the re-registration was required for the reasons above.")

Instead:
*use TCPView when you're paranoid, check out svchost.exe, explorer.exe (definitely malicious, haven't seen it in legit function calling outbound), msbuild.exe,...
*check AutoRuns for suspicious entries regularly
*process hollowing should be detected and prevented by a decent AV

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, I'm using the Free version also.
Thought about buying the paid one, but:
*after giving the paid ones a try (simply download it), it will bombard you with firewall requests, you might get lazy and allow something that's really malicious (the free one does only ask for non-windows services, which make up most cases and are related to 3rd-party software and or malware)
*not sure whether I have to buy a new key / contact the support once I reset the PC (I don't recall that sentence: "Re-registration is required after upgrade or re-installation onto a different media (backup restoration causes the media virtually changed sometimes). The registration code change confirms the re-registration was required for the reasons above.")

Instead:
*use TCPView when you're paranoid, check out svchost.exe, explorer.exe (definitely malicious, haven't seen it in legit function calling outbound), msbuild.exe,...
*check AutoRuns for suspicious entries regularly
*process hollowing should be detected and prevented by a decent AV
From what I see on every major version you have to buy but they give a discount (no clue on amount). The benefit of plus and all above versions is the network zones but that will only be useful to very few users. Is it useful for me, yes. Is it useful for the average user, probably no.
Now about spamming notifications when you tried it, it's normal. It's all the windows processes trying to connect but after you do it once you will not care again. A good practice is to install the firewall after a clean format and just spam allow until windows processes are done. Then you will have little maintenance through time.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would suggest keep away from Comodo Firewall if you're a beginner. It's great but has many bugs you have to deal with. I always find out Windows Firewall turns on and blocks applications while CFW is on, for example. Sometimes randomly not starting with Windows...

Reactions: ChemicalB

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Hows Glasswire compared to comodo firewall? Any pros?
The pros is it does exactly what OP wants. As good as CF is. It can be quite overwhelming if OP just need a simple connection notification feature.
If he need a more seasoned and complete firewall then obviously CF is the better choice.

Reactions: Moonhorse

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Its firewall is based on Win firewall I think but it is mainly a network monitor which shows connection attempts notifications. I use PRO version, it automatically scans outgoing files on VT. Free version has basic features and it is more limited.

Out of curiosity, what happens when it’s svchost calling out ?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
No, and I don't even want to, i'm fully satisfied with Windows Firewall.
I still use binisoft WFC for faster rulemaking.

I second this, even though binisoft has sold the product to malwarebytes it's still one of the lightest and easiest product to use.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.