Security Registration

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Hi I have started to compile how some antivirus companys work with activation on there keys.

Avast- Usually a key sent to email and can be installed unlimited amount of times onto the same machine

Norton- Subscription key available in Nortons my account with unlimited activations

F secure- 3 time key install then have to contact support to have it un block...annoying

Trend micro: User login with serial key

Emsisoft: Going back to serial key instead of user login

G data- User details to login

Mark

Apr 22, 2011
Norton does not have unlimited activations. If you install enough times, it will tell you that you have exceeded the number of allowed activations and you will need to contact support.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Oh?Customer support told me I could uninstall and re install as many times as I like with nothing to worry about. So like F secure they would just reset the key? I have noticed in Norton 2012 there is a user managment system coming into place

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Yeah, that is what happens with Trend Micro. Can get annoying tho, if your computer screwed up and need to reintall windows, you need to login to your account. Plus normally you can not find any fake key on the internet because every key is linked to an account. So I like Trend Micro in that case.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
darkelixa said:
Avast- Usually a key sent to email and can be installed unlimited amount of times onto the same machine

In fact I think they've even manage to break a record,after a few months ago Avast said that one key was use by more than 700.000 people :p - link

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Jack said:
darkelixa said:

In fact I think they've even manage to break a record,after a few months ago Avast said that one key was use by more than 700.000 people :p - link

Wow, good on Avast. So I think Avast will be the most popular free antivirus if not the most favouritable antivirus.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.