Security setup that requires no user interaction?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I would personally go simple. Don't make things too complicated with too many layers. Many layers = more problems + maintenance.

- Sophos Home Free (or EAV/ESS). I've tried others: Kapsersky, EIS, etc...too many popups.
- Chrome w/ Ublock Origin
- Windows 10 x64 w/ Standard Account
- Teamviewer

Done. Tell dad to call you if he needs to install something...etc. I'm sure he's probably just gonna mainly web browse mostly. I do this all the time for love ones and find too much complexity causes headaches. You'd be surprised how powerful an Adblocker is alone compared to NO ADBLOCKER IE setup most people use.

You can make assumptions all day about exploits, zero days, etc...but the above setup would protect him from the majority with little headache. No program errors, popups, nag screens, xyz program wanting to update or buy an upgrade, you wondering if it is still working correctly, you wondering if dad closed something on accident, wondering if sandboxing is working right... the list goes on.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually a virtualization + Policy based Anti-Exe is enough for the needs since no user interaction will occur because of the preparation made from the rulesets.

The only little downside is the maintenance which needs more patience.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Sandboxie Help

From Sandboxie
Verified
Developer
Feb 26, 2016
I would personally go simple. Don't make things too complicated with too many layers. Many layers = more problems + maintenance.

- Sophos Home Free (or EAV/ESS). I've tried others: Kapsersky, EIS, etc...too many popups.
- Chrome w/ Ublock Origin
- Windows 10 x64 w/ Standard Account
- Teamviewer

Done. Tell dad to call you if he needs to install something...etc. I'm sure he's probably just gonna mainly web browse mostly. I do this all the time for love ones and find too much complexity causes headaches. You'd be surprised how powerful an Adblocker is alone compared to NO ADBLOCKER IE setup most people use.

You can make assumptions all day about exploits, zero days, etc...but the above setup would protect him from the majority with little headache. No program errors, popups, nag screens, xyz program wanting to update or buy an upgrade, you wondering if it is still working correctly, you wondering if dad closed something on accident, wondering if sandboxing is working right... the list goes on.

Sandboxie doesn't have any pop ups, etc. Once you've set up programs to be forced into as sb, that's it. You'll know when it's working, buy the border and by other visual cues. Plus, there is no need to update any definitions, etc. Run and go.

Thus you can rely just on sandboxing. If all that person is doing is online / email /chat. You can even force the usb/CD/DVD drive to open only those locations in the sb. Again, good to go. Built in Windows Defender in Win 10 is all you need....why worry if AV program X has been updated? is it running? Current? etc.etc. if you just want to see what's "in your sandbox" that may be malware. Otherwise, set up auto delete of the sandbox...Done and Done.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Just force your browser(s) (Windows default, or otherwise) to open in a sandbox. That's 99% of the vector any way. You can also force outlook/or Thunderbird email clients, or pretty much anything. All under the authority of SBIE. No worrying about virus updates, etc. Forced programs is a paid feature of SBIE. ((Outlook 2016/Office365 support coming very soon..)
Office 2016(word/excel/powerpoint/outlook) works just fine sandboxed except excel not able to open the file directly and having to do it from the open menu.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.