Advice Request Security Software obselete on Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Dear Members,

Is security software really needed with Windows 10?

I am not joking. On my Windows 10 I have SysHardner of Andreas and ConfigureDefender of Andy. I have also enabled Proteced Folder Access plus added some (full path) Anti-Exploit protection (e.g blockMSHTA and Powershell and powershell_ise by enabling all AE options of WD for these programs). Now I noticed (may be late joining the party) that Windows Defender has copied some whitelisting tactisx of PrevX (now Webroot), see picture.

1537114502408.png

So with some freeware and tweaks Windows10 Defender really ends all need for third party security software. My Asus Transformer has a to simple CPU, but more powerfull CPU's have the benefit of additional device security, so does Windows 10 (Defender) makes all home user security obsolete?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The way you are able to tweak your systems is very good, but requires a good bit of technical knowledge. You received the high compliment from @Andy Ful in your other thread: Windows 10 - Use Windows 10 build-in (anti)execution options So my view is that users such as yourself with very good windows knowledge do not need third party antivirus. As a non-technical user myself, I simply do the best to implement what native Windows' security features that I am able to achieve and even I don't need a third party antivirus. I still prefer some third party anti-exploit software in addition to WD though. I enjoy following your posts as they have helped to further my Windows knowledge. (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dear Members,

I am not joking. On my Windows 10 I have SysHardner of Andreas and ConfigureDefender of Andy. I have also enabled Proteced Folder Access plus added some (full path) Anti-Exploit protection (e.g blockMSHTA and Powershell and powershell_ise by enabling all AE options of WD for these programs). Now I noticed (may be late joining the party) that Windows Defender has copied some whitelisting tactisx of PrevX (now Webroot), see picture.

View attachment 197694

So with some freeware and tweaks Windows10 Defender really ends all need for third party security software. My Asus Transformer has a to simple CPU, but more powerfull CPU's have the benefit of additional device security, so does Windows 10 (Defender) makes all home user security obsolete?
+1
The security features you mentioned are definitely sufficient to protect from infection, and paranoids can enable native Windows SRP, too, thanks to Andy Ful's free Hard_Configurator.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The way you are able to tweak your systems is very good, but requires a good bit of technical knowledge. You received the high compliment from @Andy Ful in your other thread: Windows 10 - Use Windows 10 build-in (anti)execution options So my view is that users such as yourself with very good windows knowledge do not need third party antivirus. As a non-technical user myself, I simply do the best to implement what native Windows' security features that I am able to achieve and even I don't need a third party antivirus. I still prefer some third party anti-exploit software in addition to WD though. I enjoy following your posts as they have helped to further my Windows knowledge. (y)
Yeah, 3rd party software is usually more convenient and more flexible than native Windows security features. But native Windows security can definitely do the job.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you don't care for the performance impact of WD on your laptop then yes, you don't need something else.

Performance Test April 2018 | AV-Comparatives
There are rare moments when WD affects performance on my computer, like when I am copying massive amounts of files from place A to place B. If I was smart enough, I would remember to disable WD when I do something like that.
But most of the time, I don't feel WD.
FYI, it is important to leave the lid up on your laptop when you walk away, because that way, WD can do its daily scan when there is no user activity.
The other tip is not to pile up massive amounts of software installers inside your downloads folder. It will cause the downloads folder to load slowly. Sad but true.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you don't care for the performance impact of WD on your laptop then yes, you don't need something else.

Performance Test April 2018 | AV-Comparatives
Advanced user is fine with any antivirus software, or without. But when it comes into real life testing / 100% protection you want to have, Windows defender is poor against some 3rd party antiviruses. You can harden it on many ways, to make it very very strong. Its just antivirus, you have firewall + other components to use along with it. Just built your tank the way u like to

In long way, most of mt users wont be ever infected so its not needed to run very heavy software on computer if it affects your gaming/browsing/editing whatever you do SO impacting is really big part for some people

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
To answer this question, not needed since Vista actually, when MS has introduced many features to improve security like Patchguard, etc.

As for WD, it gets a little complicated, MS has renamed and moved everything security related to Windows Defender Center. Some of those features work when WD is disabled, like smartscreen or Exploit protection. As for others, there are included in 3rd party AVs as well, and some work even better.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
+1
The security features you mentioned are definitely sufficient to protect from infection, and paranoids can enable native Windows SRP, too, thanks to Andy Ful's free Hard_Configurator.

I guess I'm a paranoid then? :LOL::LOL::LOL: H_C makes it easy, easy, easy.

There are rare moments when WD affects performance on my computer, like when I am copying massive amounts of files from place A to place B. If I was smart enough, I would remember to disable WD when I do something like that.
But most of the time, I don't feel WD.
FYI, it is important to leave the lid up on your laptop when you walk away, because that way, WD can do its daily scan when there is no user activity.
The other tip is not to pile up massive amounts of software installers inside your downloads folder. It will cause the downloads folder to load slowly. Sad but true.

This is my experience, except for the daily scans, which I never notice. My old i3 laptop runs fast but I have very little software installed.

Tweaked WIndows provided high security for a long time now, but people predominantly use default Windows or perhaps Avast Free. Gee, I wonder why that is ?

Reactions: shmu26 and AriDfoix

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Those are allready third party software.
That is right, of course. But, @Windows_Security had in mind the real-time security. Both SysHardener and ConfigureDefender are not the real-time programs - they only configure the features which are already in the system. The user simply can run them on demand (rarely) when they are needed.(y)
It is not correct to say that ConfigureDefender or SysHardener can protect something, because they only can configure Windows settings and then Windows built-in features are protecting the computer.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

That is right, of course. But, @Windows_Security had in mind the real-time security. Both SysHardener and ConfigureDefender are not the real-time programs - they only configure the features which are already in the system. The user simply can run them on demand (rarely) when they are needed.(y)
It is not correct to say that ConfigureDefender or SysHardener can protect something, because they only can configure Windows settings and then Windows built-in features are protecting the computer.
I believe you all giving to much credit to Microsoft while relying on third-parties to properly configure the Software. The fact most of the options are hidden behind Group Polity and Regedit, should be a minus in terms of user usability.

On top of that we have the known performance issues, mediocre protection against 0-day and unknown malware (compared to third-parties), so I won't recommend Windows Defender to anyone until Microsoft fixes all the issues above.

Most of us on MT don't even need an AV Software, and I would rather go naked than have the resource hog that is WD running in the background. As a developer it gets in my way a lot with false positives, bugs and affects my debugging performance.

Visual Studio Debug:

Naked: 30 secs.
With WD: 132 secs.
With Kaspersky: 32 secs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.