Seeking Feedback: Best AV for Me

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
I want to keep this simple: I am an avid gamer (Windows 8) that is very computer literate that is looking for the AV with the "lightest" impact on my system resource so I don't even notice its there while gaming or anything.

I don't remember the last time I have ever had a Virus (I am very computer literate so I don't go around downloading torrents or from malicious sites)

On my old windows 7 machine I used Avira never felt an impact but the popups of updating were obnoxious. I have hard that Windows 8 doesn't need a AV because MSE is actually apart of WD but I would definitely feel safer purchasing an additional AV.

I have looked around this website and see that a lot of people say Avast! Webroot , Comodo and NOD32 are the lightest but for my needs I stated above which AV would you recommend?

I appreciate the feedback! Cheers!

System Specs:
3770k @ 4.5ghz
16gb of RAM
Windows 8

I

illumination

If i had an i7 with 16 gig of ram, it pretty much would not matter when it came to lightness, just chose one with "game" mode so you can suppress the popups! ;)

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
Do you have any recommendations with that in mind? I have heard that bitdefender is the best overall but is a bit bloaty.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
You can try ESET. It's effective, light and has gamer mode option.

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
Ok. I have hears some good things about ESET so I might give it a shot they have ESET Smart Security 6 & ESET Antivirus 6. They seem like the same thing but the Smart Security has a few extra features. I will wait for a few more responses before I make my decision.

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
If I get ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Not Smart Security which has a firewall), will I be able to run ESET NOD32 + Windows 8 Firewall?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
pwspong said:
If I get ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Not Smart Security which has a firewall), will I be able to run ESET NOD32 + Windows 8 Firewall?

Yes, it's possible :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you have UAC on default settings then all you need is Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Just never approve unknown processes when prompted by UAC. Very simple, light setup and very effective.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

I will say same as above : Windows 8 built-in security ( aka Windows Defender + Windows firewall + UAC)

ESET is effectively light o n responsiveness but it drains too much RAM, and a gamer need the maximum RAM possible; when i was an Hardcore Gamer , on my gaming system, i never used any other protection than the one Windows offers .

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may try a shot on using fully Cloud Based AV like Panda Cloud, Bitdefender Free AV, Webroot and others.

As long you need the internet connection necessarily.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
With this specs there is no av which can slow down you unless you try some crappy av.

If free go with windows defender or avast

If paid go with eset or kaspersky

thecombo101

Level 1
Mar 24, 2012
I also recommend sticking to built-in security, Windows Defender and UAC is enough for a gamer IMO. But if you want peace of mind, maybe Avast if you want free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.