Question Anyone here facing issues with ESET's HTTP scanner?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Been using NOD32 since 2001 when it was the lightest AV around. I hate how it now has an HTTP scanner. While some may like/want it, I don't want anything affecting the snapiness of my internet when it comes to browsing websites or downloading/uploading files. You can disable it but then you get this nice big *** icon in amber alerting you something is wrong.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it? What are others' experiences with it? Do you feel it affects your upload speed and snappiness when visiting websites (I mean from the time you click on a URL/link till the time the page actually starts to load)?

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Been using NOD32 since 2001 when it was the lightest AV around. I hate how it now has an HTTP scanner. While some may like/want it, I don't want anything affecting the snapiness of my internet when it comes to browsing websites or downloading/uploading files. You can disable it but then you get this nice big *** icon in amber alerting you something is wrong.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it? What are others' experiences with it? Do you feel it affects your upload speed and snappiness when visiting websites (I mean from the time you click on a URL/link till the time the page actually starts to load)?
I can see your dislike for it and I agree to some extent. However, in my case it doesn't slow me down especially when I have 5 other chrome or Firefox extensions that are most likely slowing down the page load a lot more than my eset. For example I have Adguard desktop, ublock, privacy badger and Malwarebytes link scanner. I bet that those extensions have a heavier impact on my browsing habits than Eset.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

Been such a long time @Spartan
I remember Papusan mentioning similar issue and disabled HTTP scanner completely. Even he suggested migrating away from ESET AV just because of this MiTM like attack that kills website loading performance esp. banks and legacy sites.
I just added Firewall Hardening rules to prevent LOLBins hijacking system files to download malware. ConfigureDefender/H_C_HardeningTools at master · AndyFul/ConfigureDefender

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
A while ago I tested speed difference when browsing with or without HTTP(s) scanning and it was negligible. On my system pages load faster with Eset (with https enabled) than with Kaspersky, MD or Emsisoft.
If I disabled http scanning entirely it actually slowed down page loading in FF. If I only excluded FF from protocol scanning, page load improved but it was hardly noticeable.
That's my experience on my system.

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
A while ago I tested speed difference when browsing with or without HTTP(s) scanning and it was negligible. On my system pages load faster with Eset (with https enabled) than with Kaspersky, MD or Emsisoft.
If I disabled http scanning entirely it actually slowed down page loading in FF. If I only excluded FF from protocol scanning, page load improved but it was hardly noticeable.
That's my experience on my system.
can you try uploading like a 1GB - 4GB file to any hosting file such as mega.nz with HTTP scanning on/off and measure the time it needs to complete the upload?

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
can you try uploading like a 1GB - 4GB file to any hosting file such as mega.nz with HTTP scanning on/off and measure the time it needs to complete the upload?
I've tried uploading 2.7 GB media files to https://ufile.io/ and there was no difference in speed ( 7:22 vs 7:20 minutes when protocol filtering totally disabled). Though my upload speed was not fully utilised (probably some throttling on their side).

EDIT: I wrongly calculated upload speed so there was no speed throttling.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.