Senate vote allows FBI access to your browsing history without a warrant

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Why it matters: The US has just voted to allow the FBI and other security agencies to access American citizens’ web histories without requiring a warrant. Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Steve Daines (R-MT) were trying to install privacy protections into the Patriot Act, but the amendment failed to pass by a single vote.

The Patriot act (Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism act) is a controversial piece of legislation that was made into law following the September 11 attacks. It gives law enforcement extra powers of surveillance, including record and private property searchers without notifying the individuals.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Also fun fact, federal employees (as in senators and the likes pretty much) are excluded. Ain't that a joy, people who are the most corrupt with most crap on their hands are immune to it. Same as with that bullshit "earn it" garbage for encryption. One set of rules for me, but other for thee. Why do all this, just go full China on US people already ffs. But I guess they prefer frogs a la sous vide... Slow and steady so they don't react to much...

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Private mode/incognito mode and VPN:
iu

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
How would the FBI even have remote access to your browsing history anyhow? Would browsers retain records for viewing? I'm trying to understand the FBI abilities to see browsing history without having to do it locally, unless the whole point of the article is they can see your browsing history without a warrant "locally"...which wouldn't be a big issue for me a least haha.

"including record and private property searchers without notifying the individuals."

This part above of the OP comment makes be believe they have the capability of doing so remotely, without the individual knowing...but how?

Last edited:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
How would the FBI even have remote access to your browsing history anyhow? Would browsers retain records for viewing? I'm trying to understand the FBI abilities to see browsing history without having to do it locally, unless the whole point of the article is they can see your browsing history without a warrant "locally"...which wouldn't be a big issue for me a least haha.

"including record and private property searchers without notifying the individuals."

This part above of the OP comment makes be believe they have the capability of doing so remotely, without the individual knowing...but how?
I think the idea is they can get any information from your ISP without a warrant. These articles aren’t written for the technically minded, they are written in a way that gets the most clicks.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Nothing new for this corrupt group of leaders.

Laughing..... now now oldschool.

They are all acting in our interests.... ;):rolleyes:

I think the idea is they can get any information from your ISP without a warrant.

Yeah.

It's partly about data retention. The federal government has no use, time or manpower to surveil/monitor web traffic.

But if/when you become a person of interest, they want to be able to see what you've been up to and interested in. Have you been Googling "How to make a fertilizer bomb"....

Generally a warrant would be pursued. But in time sensitive cases... things can be checked out.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah.

It's partly about data retention. The federal government has no use, time or manpower to surveil/monitor web traffic.

But if/when you become a person of interest, they want to be able to see what you've been up to and interested in. Have you been Googling "How to make a fertilizer bomb"....

Generally a warrant would be pursued. But in time sensitive cases... things can be checked out.
Maybe I should change my search habits :ROFLMAO:

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
And what would they do If I used encryption? I always forget the passwords under pressure lol
I wanna go to US in the near future, so I might care this situation.

Reactions: bribon77

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is going to be a great marketing move for VPN to advertise.
True. But as @Burrito pointed out, unless you are doing something that would catch their attention they don't have the time or resources to care. Unless they start abusing their power for their own amusement, which hopefully they also don't have time for.

Actually using a VPN 24/7 might draw more attention.

Reactions: South Park

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
True. But as @Burrito pointed out, unless you are doing something that would catch their attention they don't have the time or resources to care. Unless they start abusing their power for their own amusement, which hopefully they also don't have time for.

They will abusing their power because we can't see what FBI is doing while FBI knows what we are doing. America is trying to be the second China. Censored people from telling the truth.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.