Question Sextortion scam again?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Happy0

Thread author
Apr 4, 2024
I received a sextortion email again and now I am worried . Is this just a spam email aim at million of people?

Attachments

• 20240417_111116.jpg
    20240417_111116.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 62

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
You’ve had a RAT infection and this is where they got your email from (I’ve had the same on testing emails that I use).

These are pre-typed templates that have been sent out for years. No private, sensitive materials have been leaked but they do have your passwords — change them.

You can safely ignore these emails. Do not engage in replying or anything else.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
RAT infection is the most scary reason, but there are many more reasons your email could be on the street. In terms of increasing probability: a data leak at some company who has your email or you entered your email to download something or use free WIFI, or you responded to a discount or prize winning action, or a friend has installed an app in his/her phone allowing access permission to all your friend's contacts, etc ...

I once downloaded a free app (from the Google store) which function was to check whether something is completely horizontal. When I read the permissions it asked access to my contacts and pictures (why ???) and I immediately removed it (with netGuard temporarely enabled on my phone it could not have gone outbound).

Last edited:

Happy0

Thread author
Apr 4, 2024
Yes, nothing to worry about for millions of people, the worrying part about it, is that you are worried about it :unsure:
😅 I am worried because I had received this type of email twice in this month already.
The first one said that when I open the email he would know and that I have 48 hours to send him bitcoin. After 48 hours nothing happened so I stopped worrying about it and moved on but than came this email that why I am afraid to even open it. It even said last warning that why it made me even more scared.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yeah its scam email, i get dozens on my original email adress. They tell me to pay or they leak nude pictures to my family, really i wouldnt give a damn if someone leaked my nude pictures all around since im so handsome. Theres is more things to worry in world than someones nude pictures to be honest :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2024
It's part of a spam campaign.

Your email obviously is compromised from whatever places you have used it to register.

Best course if action:

First run a scan with an antivirus to make sure you are not indeed infected. After this follow the steps below to ensure you negate any more issue.

1. Create a new email account and transfer your other accounts over to it, meaning go into your other accounts and chance the email address associated with establishing the account.

2. Enable 2fa on the accounts after changing passwords as well. Changing any security questions associated with said accounts.

3: Notify people you know, have in contacts or converse with in these associated accounts. This way they are aware and can be observant just in case.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.