Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Eset Internet Security 15
Firewall security
About custom security
Syshardener 1.5
HIPS Eset has been updated with rules for protection against ransomware and some rules recommended by forum users.
Autoruns
Periodic malware scanners
EEK, Dr. Web CureIt (periodically)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
MS Edge with strict protection. uBlock Origin.
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
No
Password manager
Paper notebook
Maintenance tools
Disk cleanup in Windows 10
File and Photo backup
Mega Cloud
System recovery
AOMEI Backuper Standard
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
In 5 days my license for Eset Internet Security expires. I think that technical support will not help me with my license problem, and if I manage to at least get the money back, then I will buy a new Eset box, only for 1 year :) Still, this is the most hassle-free and lightweight antivirus on my laptop. Antivirus is good, technical support is not. If the money cannot be returned, and technical support does not solve the issue, then I will put a free Avast. I would put a free Kaspersky, but there were problems with it on my laptop. Otherwise, everything will remain as it was before.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have a question for @harlan4096. I noticed that the gradation of the configuration labels has changed. Now there are more tags. Interested in what criteria this or that label is assigned? For example, what is the difference between Basic Security and Advanced Security? What is the difference between Advanced Defense and Advanced Plus Security? For example, I want to raise my defense to an advanced plus, but I don’t know what is included in this “plus”. Or, for example, I change some setting, and instead of the advanced security, I get the basic security. I would like the help to contain a detailed description of all the criteria by which a particular label is assigned, so that you can focus on what needs to be done to increase protection, and what not needs to be done so that protection does not decrease. I became interested in this question of clear criteria and I looked in the help, but did not find any information (maybe I just did not notice).

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, there is a new tag "Advanced" and "Complete" changed to "Advanced Plus"

Specific Criteria will not be published, because it may change with time and a general weighting is made according to each configuration, but it is more or less clear that to get "Advanced Plus", ALL security fields of the configuration must be filled :)

About Your config, I would add some additional Periodic Scanners: HitMan.Pro seems to lose punch lately, according to my tests in Hub, it never found anything 🤷‍♂️ while NPE and/or KVRT usually do a great work, also You can use EEK.

If You enforced HIPS rules in Your ESET, maybe Syshardener 1.5 is not needed 🤔

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Yes, there is a new tag "Advanced" and "Complete" changed to "Advanced Plus"

Specific Criteria will not be published, because it may change with time and a general weighting is made according to each configuration, but it is more or less clear that to get "Advanced Plus", ALL security fields of the configuration must be filled :)

About Your config, I would add some additional Periodic Scanners: HitMan.Pro seems to lose punch lately, according to my tests in Hub, it never found anything 🤷‍♂️ while NPE and/or KVRT usually do a great work, also You can use EEK.

If You enforced HIPS rules in Your ESET, maybe Syshardener 1.5 is not needed 🤔
Thank you. But this situation with you and Hitman seems strange. Hitman uses the same Bitdefender databases as EEK, and there is no point in using KVRT, since Hitman has the same Kaspersky databases. NPE is very aggressive and therefore can give a lot of false positives. With my pc activity, such an aggressive scanner would be overkill. If I often visited the dark web, unfamiliar suspicious sites and installed suspicious programs, then using a large number of scanners would be reasonable, but with my PC activity, having a large number of scanners seems redundant, so I use one Hitman, which has databases and Kaspersky. and Bitdefender, and Sophos herself.
There are quite a few rules in SH that are difficult to spell out in Hips Eset. More precisely, you can prescribe anything you want, only it will take a lot of time and effort, and there is a high probability of making a mistake somewhere that can lead to sad consequences. Easier to use SH.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I think HitMan.Pro stopped using Kaspersky engine some time ago, also it had implemented only exe detection files for this engine.

HitMan.Pro in general can detect only exe files, but not other types of files such as infected MsOffice docs, scripts, java, etc. and KVRT does.

Last edited:

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I think HitMan.Pro stopped using Kaspersky engine some time ago, also it had implemented exe detection files for this engine.
Perhaps this is true. On the Russian forum, there were also reports that the detection fell. Strange situation. There is no information on the official website that they have abandoned the Kaspersky databases.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In addition to inclusion of strict isolation of sites, what else can I add in the flags of Edge?
1642953604134.png 1642953703893.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Set the settings as on the screenshots. Something else with security in Edge can be done?
Make sure Smartscreen is enabled in Edge. Choose your preferred option for automatic HTTPS and Super Duper mode, both of which offer optional stronger protection with more potential website breakage.

And you may add custom Exploit protection via Windows Security.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Make sure Smartscreen is enabled in Edge. Choose your preferred option for automatic HTTPS and Super Duper mode, both of which offer optional stronger protection with more potential website breakage.

And you may add custom Exploit protection via Windows Security.
In the SuperDuper, I set a strict mode. SmartScreen enabled. AutoHTTPS enabled. If I have turned off Antivirus Windows Defender in real time, then the protection against exploits will still work?

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
ACG crashes Edge. Haven't tried ASP.
Yes, I tried enable on the ACG, and Edge stopped running. The browser could not start at all. Disable the ACG - and Edge started normally. Maybe there will be support for this function in the future. I read that in the 98th beta version there are already such support. ASP has not tried. What is it?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.