SG TCP Optimizer 4

L

LabZero

Thread author
Hey guys, just sharing my simple test of TCP Optimizer 4

Lately my connection has some lags and it slows down especially in function of the hourly bands.
My connection is fast in the morning/afternoon and gradually it slows down in the evening.
According to me the problem is the saturation, as confirmed by the ISP, in short, if the connection were a cake, more people eat the cake... and more small are the cake slices :D
Unfortunately, the situation is this, business and lack of new infrastructures.
Certain I cannot do anything under this aspect, but it is useful to try to optimize something in my system so, like I said, I have tested TCPO.

TCPO is a free portable program for Windows to optimize the TCP settings in the Windows Registry.

The program is useful for both expert users and beginners about the optimization of the relevant TCP/IP parameters in the Windows Registry, making easier to optimize the system for the type of internet connection used.
It uses advanced algorithms and the bandwidth used to find the best TCP settings for your connection speed.

Cattura0.PNG

Simple tutorial.

In the program window “Connection speed” select the maximum speed of your connection expressed in kilobits/sec.
My ADSL runs 7 Mega (7 Mbps) so I select a speed of 7000 Kbps

In “Network Adapter selection” choose the network adapter used for the internet connection. Many computers have a wired network card and a wireless adapter, choose the one that is used, or both by flagging the box “Modify All Network adapter”.

All that remains is to apply the setting, select the button “Optimal settings” at the bottom of the program window and click “Apply change”.

Restart the computer when prompted for changes to take effect.

Important: TCPO creates a backup of the previous settings to restore it if needed (FirstBackup.spg) in the same folder of the program, in my case on the Desktop.

Very simple, I am in beginner mode and it looks very good, of course it is possible tweak the protocol in advanced mode and here the excellent official guide: TCP Optimizer 4 Documentation - Windows 7, 8, 10, 2012 Server

I had used TCPO in the past on Windows 7 with good results and I have to say that despite the current implementation of the network section of Win 10, it still does a very good job and here the results:

Connection speed, latency before optimization

Cattura.PNG

Connection speed, latency after optimization

Cattura1.PNG

As you can see, an improvement of download speed but above all, more stable connection and less of lags.

Edited connection speed expression to avoid confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I too have used this in Win 7, it helped speed up my connection
for gaming. Great to see it is still aroud. I am going to DL this
and save it for that "just in case" moment.
Thanks LabZero :)
PS:
It may not help the upload speed in some cases, but I can tell you it helps with Upload latency
in online games with software like PunkBuster enabled.
It will solve some communication errors, and kicks for communication failed in PB
enabled games. ;)

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
I too have used this in Win 7, it helped speed up my connection
for gaming. Great to see it is still aroud. I am going to DL this
and save it for that "just in case" moment.
Thanks LabZero :)
PS: It may not help the upload speed in some cases, but I can tell you it helps with Upload latency
in online games with software like PunkBuster enabled.
Yeah I have noticed about the upload but actually it is a secondary problem for me, the download speed is slightly increased, but most importantly, less lags and more fluid connection:)

R

Rodney74

Thread author
You have it set at your download speed, not your connection speed, you should bump it to your connection speed. For example if you have comcast home, that would be 100MBPS....Unless I'm wrong?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474
L

LabZero

Thread author
You have it set at your download speed, not your connection speed, you should bump it to your connection speed. For example if you have comcast home, that would be 100MBPS....Unless I'm wrong?
As I said, my contract is 7 Mbps, even if the "connection status" page of my router shows about 8 Mb as max speed.
You have to set the real connection speed according to your contract with the ISP, so 7 Mbps in my case.
7.35 Mbps is optimized-speed ADSL connection at PC level, the download speed can vary time by time.

My actual download speed is: 7350/8 = ~918 KBytes/sec at test moment.

If you have 100 Mbps you have to move the slider on 100+Mbps.

Thead edited about connection speed expression to avoid confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I've never used one of these tools as my download and upload speed have always been as expected. However, I hadn't considered that a tool like this might improve latency, remove lags and generally make communitcations more fluid. I will give it a go and see what happens!

Many thanks @LabZero for sharing info about this tool and also your experience using it.

Viper007

Level 3
Verified
May 27, 2014
Which is better leatrix-latency-fix or TCP Optimizer 4.0.6.0?! Gaming scenario..
if im correct when i last saw leatrix-latency all it does is modifies TCPNoDelay and TCPAckFrequency to make connection more responsive you can do the same thing with tcp optimiser in the advanced settings, i have been using this program for ages and tell all my friends who game to get better response to server and best out of there connection.

I also suggest not just choosing Optimal and do custom and follow the document to get better settings as doing custom you can turn of them useless settings in advanced were optimal does not if im correct, if you need any help with settings let me know and ill help.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.