Shadow Defender and Windows Defender on Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
You cant add exclusions while in Shadow Mode must be done outside.

Btw cloud AV are best with SD , no exclusions needed ^^
Yes, of course. I am setting exclusions while offline ;) And I have set many exclusions on the registry and folder. Then follows the procedure of illumination. In fact, testing and testing for around 2 hours with no success.

yeah, have tried Webroot but uninstalled it.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hey, this is off-topic. But is F-Secure light and fast? It uses many engines including BitDefender, right? Thanks

I

illumination

In the time i ran Shadow Defender i only had to exclude the folder for the programs, never had to add the registry keys. So im not sure what the deal is.. What Bo said about using updating outside of, is probably the best way to go for you it sounds, matter of fact you could just run SD as on-demand instead of on boot up to do so.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
In the time i ran Shadow Defender i only had to exclude the folder for the programs, never had to add the registry keys. So im not sure what the deal is.. What Bo said about using updating outside of, is probably the best way to go for you it sounds, matter of fact you could just run SD as on-demand instead of on boot up to do so.

Thanks. Actually that is the workaround I did yesterday, updating outside Shadow Mode but it's incovenient.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
If you are going to use Shadow defender, regardless, on demand or on boot, you should disable automatic Windows updates. And do those updates via Control panel.

If you like, you can post at the Shadow defender forum and ask if WD can be updated in Shadow mode. Perhaps someone there is using both programs and knows. No guessing.
http://shadowdefenderforum.com/

Bo
Yes of course, I have set Windows Update only to check for updates. Actually I have emailed their contact support but without any helpful reply.

D

Deleted member 178

Bo.elam said:
You can log on out of Shadow mode and after doing your updates, enable Shadow mode. Theres nothing wrong with doing it like that. Thats what I suggest you do, thats what I would do if I was you.

it is what i do .

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
ifacedown, I know you are trying hard to find out how to get done what you want, I saw your post in another forum. But I really think what you want to do can not be done and even if it could be done, its wiser not to do it.

The main reason to use Light virtualization programs like Shadow defender or application sandboxes like Sandboxie is to keep our system intact. To do that is better not to open holes and every time that you allow an exclusion, you are opening a hole. So, try to keep exclusions to a minimun.

You can log on out of Shadow mode and after doing your updates, enable Shadow mode. Theres nothing wrong with doing it like that. Thats what I suggest you do, thats what I would do if I was you.

Saludos

Bo
Okay, the last paragraph is actually what I have been doing as a last resort. I understand you completely - SD is designed to keep my system intact and secure. And in fact, my current security setup (Windows defender, Windows Firewall, K9 WebProtection, MCShield, disabled autorun and execution in any removable media, UAC-Max, SmartScreen) is more than enough to protect me from any malware, I believe. I am using SD to keep my system intact.

I have only excluded my OneDrive folder, download folder, and MCShield folder. In fact, I am somewhat happy that it is really hard to do WinDefender updates on ShadowMode - it just shows that SD is really efficient.

I'll take your advice.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Questions on Shadow Defender? :confused:

>Any new developments? For coming future?
>How often does Shadow Defender update their software?
>Any bugs with Windows 8.1 Pro Operating System? X64?

Thanks!;)

D

Deleted member 178

1- Mbr and track 0 will be protected
2- slooooooowly
3- not on my system

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi Umbra Polaris,

Thank you for your insight on Shadow Defender!

Learning curve for me from you? Below?
3- not on my system.
Any reason for not having Shadow Defender on your system?

Kind regards,;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

I meant i do not have bugs on my system, SD is the 1st security soft i install in a fresh system

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Thank you! For the information and your insight on Shadow Defender!:)
Appreciate!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.