Shadow Defender Giveaway - tech question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_wr

Thread author
Sep 30, 2016
Today's free software on giveawayoftheday.com is Shadow Defender 1.4. On reading the comments there (which are mostly very positive), I read a reference (that probably applies to similar software such as Deep Freeze, Time Freeze, Shadow Mode) that gave me pause:

"From the FAQ page of Shadow Defender 1.4:

Q : Why Shadow Mode works only if I restart the computer, If I shut down the computer, all changes remain after reboot.

Fast startup is turned on by default in Windows 8/10. When it is turned on, Windows will take hibernation instead of shut down, so after reboot all changes will remain. To discard all changes made in shadow mode after shut down, please disable fast startup."

(See: https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/sh...:+giveawayoftheday/feed+(Giveaway+of+the+Day))

I like the fast boots provided by the pseudo-hibernation shutdown introduced in Windows 8. But, I'd be worried about trying to remember to toggle it off on the rare occasion that I would use Shadow Defender with the intent of removing changes upon reboot. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Perhaps an automated reminder of some kind, or script or batch file to sequence tasks?

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Create a reminder in task scheduler or even force a reboot using it from time to time.

Reactions: Svoll

mark_wr

Thread author
Sep 30, 2016
Thanks SHvFl. However I was thinking of an action (reminder/task) that happens "when" I choose to exit shadow mode without committing changes and then reboot. I've now installed and registered Shadow Defender and have emailed the author for support, since their help file is out of date, and does not describe a new option in the "Administration" screen called "Enable hibernation in Shadow Mode". Hopefully they'll tell me that option is designed to "temporarily" remove hibernation capabilities until after my next shutdown/reboot. I'll post their reply when it comes back.

Reactions: Svoll and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks SHvFl. However I was thinking of an action (reminder/task) that happens "when" I choose to exit shadow mode without committing changes and then reboot. I've now installed and registered Shadow Defender and have emailed the author for support, since their help file is out of date, and does not describe a new option in the "Administration" screen called "Enable hibernation in Shadow Mode". Hopefully they'll tell me that option is designed to "temporarily" remove hibernation capabilities until after my next shutdown/reboot. I'll post their reply when it comes back.
Before that option was added i believe you didn't have the option to use hibernation. So he added this so you can choose if you want to hibernate/fast boot or not from power options in windows. Don't quote me on that this is what i guessed and please post here if the dev replies.
Thanks.

Reactions: Svoll

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
you can open shadow defender and manually click exit all shadow modes which would prompt you to either shutdown or restart, which you can click accordingly if you want to shutdown but remove all changes.

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Q : Why Shadow Mode works only if I restart the computer, If I shut down the computer, all changes remain after reboot.

Fast startup is turned on by default in Windows 8/10. When it is turned on, Windows will take hibernation instead of shut down, so after reboot all changes will remain. To discard all changes made in shadow mode after shut down, please disable fast startup."
All changes remain after reboot, but you are still in shadow mode, therefore it might be a hassle to reboot again out of shadow mode using SD's GUI, but the machine's security is not compromised. I have two laptops with Win 10 and fast startup enabled and I got into the habit to always shutdown Windows through the SD GUI. You can also leave enabled "Desktop tip" which will quickly tell you whether you are in shadow mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.