Shadow Defender Update Thread (Current Version 1.4.0.680)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Is there any real point to encrypting the write cache in Shadow Defender, and does it use more resources in doing so?
It is very light to run.
B9aVFEu.png

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Is there any real point to encrypting the write cache in Shadow Defender, and does it use more resources in doing so?
1) Do you use RAM as write cache?
Shadow Defender can use RAM as write cache. When write cache is enabled, Shadow Defender will write all the changes into the cache.
As I understand, when you come out of shadow mode... data in memory write cache is gone.
2) Do you think someone will try to retrieve data off your drive?
When you come out of shadow mode....data (from shadow session) remains on your drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiny and frogboy

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
No? Space used by Shadow Mode will erase when the user quit shadow mode.
Okay, that's not my understanding. I thought that's the point to encrypting the write cache in Shadow Defender.
What's your "erase" definition?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Basing on the original windows, Shadow Defender clone an independent system platform that we call them "shadow mode". With the same configuration and function to the original windows, people could do anything as he were in normal mode. The substantial difference between the normal mode and the shadow mode is: everything in the shadow mode, which includes the file you downloaded, the document you created or the settings that you have changed will disappear at all when you exit the shadow mode.That is the reason why shadow mode can absolutely leave no trace in the computer.
Write Cache
Shadow Defender can use RAM as write cache. When write cache is enabled, Shadow Defender will write all the changes into the cache. This will increase the disk access speed. And when the write cache is exhausted, all the write operations will be redirected to disk seamlessly.

ScreenHunter_110 Jul. 10 15.22.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
SD can't protect against data-leaking by design...encryption is actually only one way to protect changed data against loggers before deleting them during reboot.

Correct, that is why you need a good antikeylogger alond side SD like Spyshelter and a good firewall. I use Fort Knox

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
FWIW ~ quote from Tony
<< Encrypt write cache means encrypt disk write cache. SD saves all data in blank disk space when in shadow mode, and these data can be read in normal mode, encrypt (disk) write cache can protect privacy.>>
and
<<1, Shadow Defender uses the unused disk space to create a shadow-box.
2, Yes, After reboot, all shadow disk writes simply tagged for overwrite.
3, Yes, disk write cache is encrypted as well as RAM write cache if "Encrypt write cache" is enabled.
Best regards,
Tony>>

Last edited:

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Does anyone know when a new version of Shadow Defender will be released?
The current version (v1.4.0.680) has been out for almost 10 months. I wrote to
support twice last month, but they have not answered back. In the past they usually updated SD about twice a year.
I hope they haven't abanded this software as its very usefull to have.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
As I know there is no declaration in this matter. 10 months in case like SD it's not as long as it could :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Does anyone know when a new version of Shadow Defender will be released?
The current version (v1.4.0.680) has been out for almost 10 months. I wrote to
support twice last month, but they have not answered back. In the past they usually updated SD about twice a year.
I hope they haven't abanded this software as its very usefull to have.
Are there any issues that require the software to update?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi is it possible Shadow defender can sort of replace a program like Rollback rx,or system restore?
Do i need to enable system restore when using shadow defender? Thks

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi is it possible Shadow defender can sort of replace a program like Rollback rx,or system restore?
Do i need to enable system restore when using shadow defender? Thks
No...SD doesn't replaces apps like IRS and snapshot of system restore. SD creates full and functional copy of system (or chosen disk) in working memory so it means that such copy is temporaly...only in the exact time you are working in shadow mode. Tere is nothing like files/archive/snapshot etc saved on the lokal disk that you could open and than revert back the system or some files.
Enabling of system restore can only work...can be reasonable and effective...if will work in normal/real system because some specific files can be saved on system disk. Doing that in Shadow Mode your system's snapshot will be erased on reboot. But...if you want you can exclude some localisation from virtualisation or you can use command "commit now" what can save every changes or changes of specific files/folders/registry entries.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I don't think SD write to RAM unless you allocate that in the GUI setting.
Yes...you are right...it's optional. It would be better to use the words "in memory" but I wanted underline the main diference between such apps.. Normaly there is a small hidden "partition" visible and usuable only for SD.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.