Battle Shadow Defender vs Rollback RX vs ReHips

N

Noxx

I haven't used Rollback, and only briefly used RE-HIPS. However, Shadow Defender is solely system-wide virtualization. RE-HIPS, unlike SD, has HIPS, and therefore RE-HIPS and Shadow Defender serve different, but equally valuable purposes. Again, I can't comment on rollback.

Edit: Shadow Defender can prevent your files from being hit by crypto. Anything outside of "shadow mode" is at risk, however, so you must make sure all sensitive info is virtualized. But again, I can't comment on RE-HIPS/Rollback in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Rollback RX is a time machine software i.e snapshot software i.e system restore software i.e you can go back in time i.e restore your system to any Rollback RX created snapshot. It does have probs with Windows Updates especially major system updates i.e Rollback RX could get corrupted & render system not bootable. So it is advised to check their forum for the compatibility with released Windows Updates or uninstall Rollback RX, update Windows & reinstall RollbackRX. Rollback RX has a free version.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Resource Consumption - SD, Rollback RX, ReHIPS (in that order, but all of them use minimal resources - so no need to fret about any of them)
Performance Impact - None for all of them
Ease of Use - SD, Rollback RX, ReHIPS (simple, a little more complex, ReHIPS has Training Mode to ease burden on user; Expert Mode for experts)
Features - ReHIPS, Rollback RX, SD (ReHIPS has HIPS with a bunch of different settings and Isolated Environment)

EMET might cause problems with ReHIPS; it needs to be tested.

WinAntiRansom is an anti-executable so it would be pointless to combo with ReHIPS (because of HIPS); choose one or the other.

If you are using a product that already uses HIPS then you shouldn't combo with ReHIPS.

SD, Rollback RX, ReHIPS will protect your system if used properly. It comes down to your personal preferences.

There is Rollback RX Home - which is freeware - so if you have HDD, then you have it available to you at $0 cost. It is more than sufficient.

ReHIPS is $15 US 1 yr license. It is still a very young product and is being actively developed\improved. In some respects it is unlike any other product you have used.

Based on your last question regarding HIPS alerts and user mistakes, I recommend Rollback RX Home and SD for you; ReHIPS = HIPS - but - if you use it properly then it will protect system.

It appears to me that you want simple - so, like I said, Rollback RX Home and SD.

H

hjlbx

A software w/good potential and only three from MT are certified beta tester's?! Come to think of it only a few here has anti-exe/sandbox configuration...

There's probably less than 10 active members that subscribe to the anti-executable\isolation protection model here at MT.

If you add active members over at Wilders, then you can add perhaps another 10 or so.

Everyone want security config that they think will allow them to do anything they want without impunity. This is why security suites are still so popular. Most users think it will protect them - no matter what.

Massive failure to understand IT security...

D

Deleted member 178

SD, Rollback RX, ReHIPS will protect your system if used properly. It comes down to your personal preferences.

with Sandboxie on top , it is becoming my backbone setup , before adding the rest :D

If I'm not mistaken, ReHIPS rewards beta testers with licenses if you provide feedback.

We were 3 to test and report the first release so we became Closed-beta testers, for the moment, it seems they don't need more closed-beta testers. we do quite a lot of reports/suggestions already. I guess in the near future more testers will be accepted.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Shadow Defender and Rollback RX are purely snapshot/virtualization software so any changes done will be revert BUT not on password/data stealing.

So honestly having with ReHIPS is a good idea because of its component to have HIPS itself.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Please ensure you stay in topic as several posts been removed due to deviation from main topic or thread might be locked/warnings issued.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.