App Review Shadow Defender Vs Shamoon Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
Hi madyrocksin nice test ,
Toolwiz TimeFreeze Fail ,
repeted your test on my test pc with one change I ran all 3 files with
Toolwiz TimeFreeze in frozen mode tonight
Shamoon Ate it for breakfast Pc unbootable,

D

Deleted member 178

Not surprised by the result of SD, it was designed to protect from malwares.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
InternetChicken said:
Hi madyrocksin nice test ,
Toolwiz TimeFreeze Fail ,
repeted your test on my test pc with one change I ran all 3 files with
Toolwiz TimeFreeze in frozen mode tonight
Shamoon Ate it for breakfast Pc unbootable,

TimeFreeze is a bit weak against malwares, its good for undoing small application changes.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Not surprised by the result of SD, it was designed to protect from malwares.

I knew that but still wasn't expecting a clean undo, i thought there might be some errors etc.
i must say i was a bit surprised!!

P

Plexx

madyrocksin said:
Biozfear said:
Wonder how would Bufferzone Pro do against it... Guess I'll do a quick test

That would be great test, i m waiting :D

As suspected, since I do not trust Bufferzone to automatically open the files in Bufferzone due to past experiences, I manually added to be ran inside the zone.

Result? Infected within the zone. Cleared zone and system clean:)

Will edit the video later on and upload.

Want to finish the next 2 batches

D

Deleted member 178

madyrocksin said:
I knew that but still wasn't expecting a clean undo, i thought there might be some errors etc.

i am using SD for testing malwares on my real system since long time and it never failed me ^^

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
What if a virus infect the system very bad and it cant even boot? how will you roll back to a previous restore point with SD then?

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
What if a virus infect the system very bad and it cant even boot? how will you roll back to a previous restore point with SD then?

no you don't understand how it works, SD dont create a restore point; to be simple, it create a Virtual version of your system then delete it when you reboot.

if any malwares may bypass it, it will be the same as your real system. it is why i keep my AVs (in case of)

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
What exactly happens when someone enables Sd's Shadow mode?

nothing gets actually written to the disk so its safe to test malware?

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Nikos said:

no you don't understand how it works, SD dont create a restore point; to be simple, it create a Virtual version of your system then delete it when you reboot.

if any malwares may bypass it, it will be the same as your real system. it is why i keep my AVs (in case of)

Whats exactly do you mean it creates a "Virtual version of the system"?

I though it was working with restore points as Acronis and similar software. No?

Or are you talking just for the shadow mode?

D

Deleted member 178

SD has only Shadow Mode, it is not a backup or restore software.

Imagine it like sandboxie but instead of just files or browsers, it is System-wide based and virtualize partitions/files/programs you select.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Ahhh! i was confusing it with Rollback FX!!!

a) Now i see, so when i need to test somehting i dont have to install and setup virtualbox but just enter SDs shadow mode right?

b) Also how can i run a selected app sandboxed with SD without entering full system shadow mode?

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
madyrocksin said:

i am using SD for testing malwares on my real system since long time and it never failed me ^^

oh really, is it really that reliable!!
I too use it specially on my host when testing some malware on VM :p
Have you ever tried to bombard the system with virus and then checked it ??

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Nikos said:
Ahhh! i was confusing it with Rollback FX!!!

a) Now i see, so when i need to test somehting i dont have to install and setup virtualbox but just enter SDs shadow mode right?

b) Also how can i run a selected app sandboxed with SD without entering full system shadow mode?

a)I wouldn't do that, SD is really good but trying malware on it may be harmful, u can use it as an extra level of security !!

b) no u can't do that, when you select Shadow Mode u select the drives which will be on shadow mode, basically your whole system is visualized as it is, then you use an application run/install and when you reboot i.e. exit the shadow mode you undo the changes!!

You might take a look at the video for better clarity !!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.