Shadow Mode, Malware and Tinkering - WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruja

Level 1
Jun 30, 2015
Cryptors can re-encrypt any already encrypted files...

In other words, encrypting any file will not protect it from the likes of CryptoWall, TorrentLocker, Critoni, etc. If this were the case, then AV vendors would already be using encryption to protect systems.
Speaking of the system files I'm talking about files of various documents, photos means not personal files system otherwise would not be functional should be on your pc personal documents vidoeo, photos to be encrypt as viruses as Crylock searching for personal data and business documents ...

Reactions: Der.Reisende
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Dont know how the upcoming SD will work with Win 10 windows updates auto download/install?

If I remember correctly the user who contacted the Dev had mentioned about Win 10 windows autoupdates.

there is no problem , just go out shadow mode.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,Greeting!

@hjlbx

No! I am not using Comodo @ present!

But I am thinking about Trend Micro for six months.
http://www.topsoftbargains.com/w/trend-micro-titanium-antivirus-discount-coupon-code/

Or, maybe Dr.Web Security Space 11 beta!
http://malwaretips.com/threads/dr-web-security-space-11-beta.46836/#post-398954

My concern is that it can stop Malware like the following:

And the size of the installer! Your thoughts! Also, feel free to P.M. ;)

If the above will not work with sandboxie. I will remove the above completely!
I think that Kaspersky work well with sandboxie.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Good to know hjbx, Thank you!;)

Post #69! Should have you cover now!
http://malwaretips.com/threads/ransomware-protection.30919/page-4#post-245528

Hello @Moose

Backup - however you do it - encrypted or not - is basic to recovering files; backup really isn't protection - just a means to recover system. So, skycrypt.com would work - and probably nicely - in this regard...

File Access\Permissions - is a form of protection and it is built-in to Windows. However, the soft you show above would probably work best for typical user. I have no experience with it. My only caution is that if a user Locks or Denies Access to certain folders\files, then they can break their system; at least a familiarity with which folders\files are critical to system operation is necessary.

Otherwise, it looks interesting to me... I was unaware it existed. So thank you @Moose...

It would make the most sense to use Secure Folders only if the option to protect folders is not available in the security soft currently being used. For example, some AVs allow user to protect folders\files against any modification - while allowing reads - or to lock them down completely. Although, maybe Secure Folders might be more user friendly or offer more features than the folder protection functionality built-in to some AVs. Like all softs, user has to evaluate to see if it works well for them on their specific system.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Backups are essential for other non-malware-related problems: file system corruption, hardware failure (bad RAM = scramble all your recently modified data), operator error, etc.

SD 1.2 worked fine on my Win10.

What do you suggest as far as cloud sync one? And why? From your insight?

Box has a limit on file sizes, so that's out.

Dropbox doesn't have a lot of (free) space either, so I don't know if it does versioning. I do use it for an "incoming" box, screenshot auto-upload, and some apps use it (YNAB, Titanium Backup), so I want that space available for those applications.

OneDrive only does versioning for Office files (Microsoft really needs to quit playing catch-up and commit to leadership already...it's really hard to take them seriously anymore and if it weren't for DirectX, I would have no use for Microsoft products.). cf. https://onedrive.live.com/?invref=05360c2ca9778beb&invsrc=90

Google Drive does it. cf. https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2409045?hl=en

I like Copy.com the best as I've used it for a couple of years, it's reliable, it works on LAN, and I've used versioning to recover files and the UI was intuitive. I keep all of "My Documents" on it. hehe try it and we both get more space: https://copy.com?r=AUupvU

These all work on Windows and Android.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,

Out of the following list below:

> Shadow Defender
> Sandboxie
> Toolwiz Time Freeze

Which one and/or combination protect your whole PC which include?
Local Disk (C:)
Recovery (D:)
Tools (E:)

All partitions?

Kind regards,

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
@Moose

Sandboxie: All Drives (Sandbox located at C:\Sandbox)
SD: All Drives (I exclude Drive D: so players can save documents and game progress)
Time Freeze: Drive C: only

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Lovely piece of software, think of buying a lifetime licence after those 30 days. Working like a charm :) Not only for testing malware, but for testing off / using unknown software (with mostly some PUP/PUA on-board - like FreeYoutubetoMp3-downloader) and having no regrets afterwards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.