Sharing experience

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
We all once did not understand how to configure the system, programs, etc. I am interested in how you solved PC problems in those days when you did not understand the structure of the system and programs at all. How did you deal with PC virus infection?

Reactions: show-Zi

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
We all once did not understand how to configure the system, programs, etc. I am interested in how you solved PC problems in those days when you did not understand the structure of the system and programs at all. How did you deal with PC virus infection?

Which OS are you interested in?

Reactions: show-Zi and eonline

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Which OS are you interested in?
First of all, Windows. But Linux is also interesting. For example, I can say to myself that I used to turn to the so-called "computer masters" who work for themselves. But then how lucky. There are honest craftsmen who take an adequate fee for the work done, for example, reinstalling the system cost me $ 16 (this was when I myself did not know and did not know how). Now there are dishonest computer masters who charge $ 500 for a simple cleaning of PCs from viruses, installing a pair of drivers and cleaning a disk with a system utility. 500 $ for 30 minutes of work. Do any of the workers in Europe earn $ 1,000 an hour? :)

Reactions: show-Zi

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
I have never had malware infections on my PCs from W.XP onwards.
Today I can understand if a PC has something that does not go only with its use.
I don't think you care about my opinion when I was young and inexperienced because I should talk to you about prehistoric OSs.
However, I relied on excellent anti-malware products and removed the remnants of malware manually.
This is still possible today for example with Hitman Pro.
In my pc with XP I can still use HijackThis Portable.
But it's like knowing how to use an old manual slide rule.
You know the one used also in the movie "Apollo 13":

Also the use of Adwcleaner I remember that was very useful to me.

With Linux I remember that I used a lot of tools to check for rootkits.

P.S.

I remembered that I still have a slide rule in my desk drawer.
I went to check it out.
Who knows maybe it will come in handy in case of:

:):)

Last edited:

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Once I had a case of a system infection, with which I still could not figure out how the virus penetrated the system and managed to gain a foothold. Antiviruses and scanners did not see it. Only Spyhelter Free reacted to the suspicious activity of system processes and the Internet periodically disappeared for 1-2 minutes. Only a couple of days after the start of the malicious activity, Zemana's scanner was able to detect a harmful entry in the registry. However, after deleting this record a day later it appeared again. And so it was restored every time after removal. I had to reinstall the system. I did not understand how the virus penetrated the system, since it did not install anything, did not even download, did not open any attachments, and did not go to unfamiliar sites. Most likely the matter is in a flash card, which a day before the start of suspicious activity I inserted into the PC. Although autoran.inf is blocked for me. And from the flash drive, I just opened a regular text document, which I checked beforehand, there were no exploits or anything else in it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.