User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Defender with Hard_Configurator
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windows Defender: ConfigureDefender at close to recommended settings
Hard_Configurator: 5.0.0.1 at close to recommended settings.
Periodic malware scanners
none at present
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome and Microsoft Chromium
Maintenance tools
Hard_Configurator
File and Photo backup
Dropbox
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Custom-built desktop
i5 6500
Intel integrated graphics
8 GB RAM
SSD + HDD

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My daily driver is MX Linux 18.3 (default Xfce desktop) with Windows 10 in a virtual machine.
This keeps Windows isolated from removable usb devices (security advantage), and makes it independent of hardware drivers (less headaches).

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Out of interest (don't need to answer if too private), what applications do you use that are only available for Windows and for which you need a VM?

With VirtualBox you can also make snapshots and return to them (I noticed that because you use an additional program, but well, you probably have a reason for that).

Otherwise great configuration (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Out of interest (don't need to answer if too private), what applications do you use that are only available for Windows and for which you need a VM?

With VirtualBox you can also make snapshots and return to them (I noticed that because you use an additional program, but well, you probably have a reason for that).

Otherwise great configuration (y)
I use MS Office for my work (translating), and I also use a Hebrew digital library and a translating program (Babylon) that are Windows-only. I could replace all of the above with web apps, if I really needed to, but my internet connection is a little flaky, so I try not to rely on it for mission-critical tasks.

Yeah, you're right about the snapshots, I really need to figure out how to use them properly. They work sort of the opposite as in VMware, and I never reprogrammed my brain...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.