Should I disable Comodo HIPS and install Emsisoft Mamutu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

obada321

Thread author
Nov 1, 2012
Hello there,

I have installed Comodo Internet Security, and I have found a HIPS from Emsisoft ( Emsisoft Mamutu )

I want to disable the Comodo Hips, and install Emsisoft Mamutu instead.

What is your opinion??

D

Deleted member 178

RE: what the best

Mamutu is not an HIPS, it is a Behavior Blocker (BB); since Comodo has an HIPS and a BB, Mamutu is not needed.

obada321

Thread author
Nov 1, 2012

Umbra Polaris said:
Mamutu is not an HIPS, it is a Behavior Blocker (BB); since Comodo has an HIPS and a BB, Mamutu is not needed.

Thank you

I want to disable comodo sandbox and use sandboxie

What is your opinion

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Why do you install a fully featured IS and want to diable all of its components? I don't get it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

pablozi said:
Why do you install a fully featured IS and want to diable all of its components? I don't get it.

I completely agree if you want to use Comodo Internet Security you might as well utilize all of its features, if not then uninstall CIS and use something else.

It is not wise to mix up components of different HIPS and Behavior Blockers. You will run into compatibility issues and make your system unstable.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: Koroke San

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013

You can run your web browsers in comodos fully virtualized sandbox. comodo has HIPS and a behavior blocker. so there is really no need for mamatu of sandboxie. Which I strowngly agree wit pablozi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Actually it made a complication setup and fully overkill.

If you want HIPS then tick on from CIS settings.

Their Cloud scanner, AV, sandbox and many more are really strong components.

Why you are trying Mamutu (paid) when CIS is free for use.

D

Deleted member 178

pablozi said:

because in any suites you have some components that are less good than the other.

taking CIS example:

AV: good
HIPS/BB : very good, BB is not yet a full-fledge one, using Mamutu gives a plus (if you really need a full BB)
Full sandbox/kiosk: average and not tweakable , using sandboxie alongside gives a plus.

Then you have simplistic, paranoid and "i like to have many softs at same time" users.

all tastes are in the wild, in not means they are wrong.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Comodo only has one installer for it's AV, FW and Suite. They're to blame.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Earth said:

User who cannot go thru installer options is the only one to blame ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Users blame for the typical installation when complained for adding unnecessary stuffs from Comodo Installer which they don't want. (Geekbuddy, and others)

Realized that a custom installation button is at small portion.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

pablozi said:
Earth said:

User who cannot go thru installer options is the only one to blame ;)

I would have to somewhat agree with Earth and pablozi.

Yes users should pay attention when running any installer but when a products motto is "Creating Trust Online" users may believe Comodo wouldn't add junk to their installers in the first place and everything is to be trusted so they just click through the installation.

Running a custom installation might indicate you don't trust Comodo because you are going against their recommendation.

Thanks.:D

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Comodo Internet Security also has its own "Cloud Based Behavior Analysis" called CAMAS or CIMA

http://camas.comodo.com/

By default, CIS automatically uplauds unknown files to it.

Binload

Verified
Apr 21, 2013
Since when Comodo adds junk to its installers? If you are referring to their assistance program, then I see that far from being junk.

Many users are not fully aware in how to remove infections. Users do use Comodo Geekbuddy.

If you look at 90% of the security suites, you will not see the option upon installation to disable/enable everything.

Mamutu is a known standalone Behaviour Blocker and pretty much the only one left in the market. Another good one was TreatFire.

There is nothing wrong in having users wanting to run additional Tools to complement others. That is call being efficient.

I do not say comodo is not good. It is good, but since when a product is 100% perfect?

Seems like there are comodo haters in here. Either that or users who simply believe in one product.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No offense, but GeekBuddy is just selling a service. :rolleyes:

Friend 1 : I recommend CIS, it's the best*. --- (*, according to their opinion)
Friend 2 : I installed CIS and using GeekBuddy to clean my PC.

GeekBuddy simply mocks CIS of it's cleaning capabilities.

Imagine if Comodo had a Web Filter.

Comodo: Web page blocked, would you like assistance to close your browser?

Reactions: Littlebits

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
Comodo does have web blocking. it is called Scure DNS. It is ok, doesn't block that many things but it's something.
I don't like how comodo bundles geekbuddy with it. It isn't needed.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have no opinion one way or the other about the Comodo installation process. That said, I chose to disable Geek Buddy, and a few BS shortcuts. No harm, no foul.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem for Geekbuddy is that when threats detected , pop up shown when a simple click to remove/clean/quarantine is simple than contact it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OT: I know, that last part was a joke.

"Should I disable Comodo HIPS and install Emsisoft Mamutu?"

If CIS cannot satisfy your needs, then don't install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.