Advice Request Should i install Windows 7 or 8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Hi, i repaired my laptop and next week i'm beginning my reviews. Hard drive was dead and i bought another (750GB WD ) with no OS installed. Which operating system is good for it? I heard some bad rumors about Windows 8.1 (it's issues), so i wanna hear your opinion.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A few recommendations before getting started.

1. At least 4GB of RAM installed, it's always better to run above the minimum spec.
2. Use Windows 8.1 64-bit only.

Which bad rumours and issues do you speak of?

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Thread author
A few recommendations before getting started.

1. At least 4GB of RAM installed, it's always better to run above the minimum spec.
2. Use Windows 8.1 64-bit only.

Which bad rumours and issues do you speak of?

Laptop has Intel Celeron N2820 2.40 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 750GB new hard drive,Intel HD graphics. Rumors was about some programs has issues while working on Windows 8.1.

Reactions: MrExplorer

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I like Windows 7 more, I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I love it. It is working ok, I don't update it, I don't have SP 1. I don't had any issues.

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Windows 8.1 with Update
fit.gif

Reactions: Nedim and MalwareT

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Such as? Check that the security software is Windows 8.1 compatible before using, don't use older versions. As others have said, third-party security software doesn't run as smoothly as the built-in Windows Defender counterparts.

What programs will you be using?

If you're concerned about the Modern UI / Metro Apps, you don't have to use them. You can right-click and uninstall them from the Start Screen. You can optionally Boot straight to Desktop, or App list view.

You can still customise the Windows Theme/Desktop with a Theme Patcher, but remember to use Windows 8.1 compatible themes.

For Windows 7, you can check what's included in SP1 here. You should install SP1 for Windows 7, if you wish to receive further updates. As suggested this article posted in 2013, http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-7-service-pack-1/
Also if you wish to use the latest versions of IE and help keep Windows updated and secure!

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Such as? Check that the security software is Windows 8.1 compatible before using, don't use older versions. As others have said, third-party security software doesn't run as smoothly as the built-in Windows Defender counterparts.

What programs will you be using?

If you're concerned about the Modern UI / Metro Apps, you don't have to use them. You can right-click and uninstall them from the Start Screen. You can optionally Boot straight to Desktop, or App list view.

You can still customise the Windows Theme/Desktop with a Theme Patcher, but remember to use Windows 8.1 compatible themes.

For Windows 7, you can check what's included in SP1 here. You should install SP1 for Windows 7, if you wish to receive further updates. As suggested this article posted in 2013, http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-7-service-pack-1/
Also if you wish to use the latest versions of IE and help keep Windows updated and secure!

Thank you for advice. I'm student and mostly i'm going to use Microsoft Visual Studio and Mechanical Desktop 6. Is Windows Defender with Comodo Firewall good enough (i forgot to mention MBAM).

Reactions: yigido

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nothing worse than Comodo Sandboxing your own developed application in front of a class presentation. How embarrassing. :oops:

Learn to use Windows Firewall, it's a lot more effective than trying to configure another third-party version.

Also you can Turn Off this when connected to your educational institute or work's Wi-Fi network.
upload_2014-6-25_11-30-4.png

Windows Firewall shows you what you're connected as, Private (for home/trusted networks) or Public/Guest (hotspots / less trusted networks).
upload_2014-6-25_11-34-53.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.