Advice Request Should I keep Emsisoft, if I have Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hello I have a dilemma:I have 613 days left on my Malwarebytes Anti Malware Premium on the other hand i have got Emisoft Antimalware with 300 days left(i purchased it to another pc witch i do not have anymore).
What shall i do i have Malwarebytes installed for the moment,but i have heard so much good said about emisoft on this forum,any opinions?:confused:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@carsten ibsen

Topic moved to Emsisoft discussions.
Topic title altered as it's not a comparison.

As Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium isn't an Antivirus replacement, you may want to consider running Emsisoft AntiMalware / Internet Security as primary protection, with Malwarebytes alongside or as on-demand.

W

Wave

Thread author
If your main focus is real-time detection and BB/HIPS (zero-day protection components) then it would be very wise for you to keep Emsisoft Anti-Malware installed on your system as your primary protection (with both the real-time protection for the file system and the Behaviour Blocker enabled) - without that being said, apparently the Malwarebytes Web Protection is really good and therefore you could always keep this enabled for the real-time with MBAM (and disable it with Emsisoft products).

If you experience any conflicts you can attempt to resolve them via white-listing the other product from the white-list settings (on both products), or opening a support thread on the vendors forum/website [Emsisoft Support Forums, https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/]

I did some searching for you to check if there had been any responses from Emsisoft/Malwarebytes themselves about the compatibility and I found a few links for you to read:
EAM Compatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti Malware compatible with Emsisoft Anti Malware?

Please read this quote from GT500:
Technically Emsisoft Internet Security isn't considered compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware due to the fact that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a WFP driver to capture network traffic for their website blocking, and that driver could cause problems with the WFP driver used by Emsisoft Internet Security.

I am unaware if this is still the case or not, however if it is then it seems the Emsisoft Internet Security firewall won't be compatible with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware if both of them are working with the web protection. (and it may be the same case with EAM as well).

You can test out both products to see if you experience any conflicts. However, you may experience additional noticeable performance issues depending on your system... If you do experience a slow-down I recommend disabling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for real-time protection and keeping Emsisoft Anti-Malware real-time protection enabled (since I believe that Emsisoft is more reliable and will provide more detection's overall - without that being said, every vendor has it's good and bad days and no product can detect 100% malware).

Honestly, I recommend you just follow the suggestion @Spawn gave where you can use Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security as your main AV suite (since it is designed to be a full AV suite, it was re-named to "Anti-Malware" since the engineers felt that it would fit the product better) whilst using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as an on-demand scanner alongside (you can even set-up scheduled scans with it).

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I agree with everyone above, I'd use MBAM as on Demand and Emsisoft anti malware in real time. Emsisoft has a fantastic BB for zero day protection. I've actually just purchased and Emsisoft Anti Malware license and I'm extremely happy with the product. I'll just be using MBAM as an on demand scanner.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hello I have a dilemma:I have 613 days left on my Malwarebytes Anti Malware Premium on the other hand i have got Emisoft Antimalware with 300 days left(i purchased it to another pc witch i do not have anymore).
What shall i do i have Malwarebytes installed for the moment,but i have heard so much good said about emisoft on this forum,any opinions?:confused:

both can be used together, MBAM devs specifically advise to use a classic AV (EAM in your case) alongside MBAM.

you can turn off MBAM realtime and use it for 2-nd Scanner :D
MBAM web protection is better than Emsisoft web protection but Emsisoft has better protection than MBAM :)

Not so sure about that , MBAM web shield is (was?) the weak point of MBAM; to me EAM one was better when i closed-beta it. Not saying in EAM you can add sites via host files. So far better than MBAM.

i have one more question can emisoft(paid) run with bitdefender:)

Redundant , EAM incorporates an up-to-date Bit Defender engine.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Been running Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for a good time now, and I haven't noticed any compatibility issues between the two.

Also, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware isn't using that much resources in my experience.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Been running Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for a good time now, and I haven't noticed any compatibility issues between the two.

Also, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware isn't using that much resources in my experience.
Isn't MBAM Pro using many RAM? It is, as I remember. Of course, if someone has 8GB+ of RAM, it doesn't matter so much, but still. Anyway, to be honest, I would run only Emsisosft and Avira Browser Safety to improve web protection. MBAM isn't as good as it used to be. IMO Pro version won't protect system so good anymore. It is still good in removing adware/PUPs but when it comes to malware, Zemana and HitmanPro are much better. These two programs you can use for ondemand scanning, that's all.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I would definitely just switch to Emsisoft full time, and MB as second opinion scanner. Protection between the two isn't really close. Emsisoft offers better protection in pretty much every way. As for web protection, if EAM isn't good enough, just add Avira Browser Safety extension since it's very good or just use the built-in Chrome web blocker which is excellent.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

You can use both at same time, MBAM is specifically made to be a complement to classic AVs (said by MBAM devs) not as a main AV, not saying MBAM isn't very good against worms.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Don't have much experience with Emisoft. Heard it is pretty good as main protection. Malwarebytes's quality has diminished quite a bit so just use it as an on demand scanner. (Protection uses a lot of system resources as well anyway) Maybe you should make a security configuration thread. :)

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Just use Emsisoft. Emsisoft offers much better protection. You are much safer with Emsisoft. Malwarebytes is a second rate anti-malware at the moment. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has had terrible detection test results and no sign of improving.
You're not kidding. Malwarebytes has been downright putrid lately. Windows Defender outperformed it and smartscreen was disabled:
https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessment-Q4-2016.pdf

Don't know what's happened with them.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes never caught anything on my PC. Adwcleaner & JRT have caught plenty of nasties in the past.!

Reactions: ng4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.